Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z420
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I know that workstations like the Z-Series use EEC Ram but is it necessary for the system to work? Can I just use regular DDR3 1600Mhz sticks to upgrade my system?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

It supports

Up to 64 GB ECC unbuffered DDR3 1600 MHz

and you need ECC RAM, not non-ECC. The following article may explain why

http://theydiffer.com/difference-between-ecc-and-non-ecc-memory/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

No you can't use non ECC memory in an ECC system.  Additionally you must use ECC Unbuffered memory in this system.  You can't use ECC Buffered or what is refered to as "Registered" memory.  That's normally the memory servers will use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_memory

HP Recommended

@xephael wrote:

You can't use ECC Buffered or what is refered to as "Registered" memory.  That's normally the memory servers will use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_memory

This is incorrect. I am using a 64GB kit of Samsung ECC Reg 1866mhz RAM and it is running just fine. One thing you cant do is mix and match Registered and unbuffered - you must use either one or the other.

As for non ECC unbuffered memory, I have read reports that some users managed to get their system to boot with such modules, but an overwhelming number of reports stated that their system did not boot (black screen, no beeps, fan comes on after 30 seconds or so). It is probably a question of certain modules working and others not, but given the overall problems this cannot be recommended.

HP Recommended

@banhien wrote:

Hi,

It supports

Up to 64 GB ECC unbuffered DDR3 1600 MHz

and you need ECC RAM, not non-ECC. The following article may explain why

http://theydiffer.com/difference-between-ecc-and-non-ecc-memory/

Regards.

Worth adding that the majority of the higher end Xeon v2 Ivy Bridge CPU's support 1866mhz RAM so if one has such a CPU and is contempalting an upgrade this is worth considering.

HP Recommended

@MtothaJ wrote:

This is incorrect. I am using a 64GB kit of Samsung ECC Reg 1866mhz RAM and it is running just fine. One thing you cant do is mix and match Registered and unbuffered - you must use either one or the other.

As for non ECC unbuffered memory, I have read reports that some users managed to get their system to boot with such modules, but an overwhelming number of reports stated that their system did not boot (black screen, no beeps, fan comes on after 30 seconds or so). It is probably a question of certain modules working and others not, but given the overall problems this cannot be recommended.

Intel ARC on the CPU says ECC...  Suppose registered could work, but I've tried non-ECC and it was a complete no go.  What CPU do you have, and what's the model number of the 64GB kit or the RAM part number you're using?

HP Recommended

@xephael wrote:

@MtothaJ wrote:

Intel ARC on the CPU says ECC...  Suppose registered could work, but I've tried non-ECC and it was a complete no go.  What CPU do you have, and what's the model number of the 64GB kit or the RAM part number you're using?

This is the exact kit that I am using:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8x-8GB-64GB-RDIMM-ECC-REG-DDR3-1866MHz-RAM-HP-Workstation-Z420-Z620-Z820-E2Q...

The auction includes a bios screen which confirms the ECC REG memory works fine - displays as RDDR3:

Note that to get 1866mhz you need to have a v2 CPU.

I have E5-1650 v1 at the moment (E5-1650 v2 ordered) so I am only getting 1600mhz speed due to the v1 CPU's memory controller limitation. WHen the new CPU arrives I will get the full 1866mhz speed. 

HP Recommended

I can confirm that ECC Registered RAM works fine.  I'm using 32GB of 10600R RAM bought off ebay.  You can actually find great deals on used Registered RAM.  I'm assuming it comes from server pulls.  My 16GB kit (4x4GB) was only $17.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.