Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hi Pinee
Were you able to get that 960 running?
HP Recommended

@Højmark wrote:

It is this process here that is confusing me:

1. Download DUET here (md5sum 6c50e8a1a06e6665c81cdc7ac50cac57, VirusTotal scan log here)
  2. Verify md5sum and unpack it
  3. Plugin your USB stick
  4. Format your USB stick
  5. Open command line prompt (with admin privileges)
  6. CD to unpacked DUET folder
  7. Run CreateUSB.cmd DRIVE: (where DRIVE: is your DUET's USB stick drive letter)
  8. Watch out if CreateUSB.cmd command succeeded in all steps (it can fail when using GPT partition layout)
  9. Replug your USB stick
  10. Run CreateUSB.cmd DRIVE: UDK_X64 (where DRIVE: is your DUET's USB stick drive letter)
  11. Watch out if CreateUSB.cmd command succeeded in all steps (it can fail when using GPT partition layout)

Im not familiar with all the terms, at all.

I think you will need to ask someone to do this for you. It shouldn't take long since the process is relatively straightforward, moreover on another forum a user has reported success with getting a NVMe drive to boot on a Z620.

The USB stick option is relatively simplest (can be plugged into one of the back USB 2.0 ports and out of sight, but a more elegant solution would be to create a v. small partion on another SATA3 SSD / HDD that is in the system which would boot the bootloader, load the NVMe drivers and then let the NVMe disk take over.

HP Recommended

Hi MtothaJ

Ive managed to install Windows 8.1. It is easier with Windows 8.1 because it actually tells you what the problems are. Windows 7 just didnt want to communicate at all, or it simply doesnt know? :LaughingTears:

Now I need to get it booted.

Greetings

Brian

HP Recommended

@Højmark wrote:
Hi Pinee
Were you able to get that 960 running?

hi Højmark 

i didint buy it yet...:smileyhappy:

In fact the CPU [E5-2650] came just a few days ago.

As soon as i will bought the drive I would install Windows on it[in the end i mey go with the 950 PRO 256 GB becuase it Cheaper]

But as of now I have no experience with it.

HP Recommended

hi Højmark 

i didint buy it yet...:smileyhappy:

In fact the CPU [E5-2650] came just a few days ago.

As soon as i will bought the drive I would install Windows on it[in the end i mey go with the 950 PRO 256 GB becuase it Cheaper]

But as of now I have no experience with it.

Hi Pinee

Im also going for the 950 Pro now, this other stuff is way too complicated for me.

The 512 is way faster in writing then the 256, have you noticed that?

Greetings

Brian

HP Recommended

@Højmark wrote:

hi Højmark 

Hi Pinee

Im also going for the 950 Pro now, this other stuff is way too complicated for me.

The 512 is way faster in writing then the 256, have you noticed that?

Greetings

Brian

As per the specs:

950 Pro 512GB 2,500MB/s / 1,500MB/s

950 Pro 256 2200MB/s / 900MB/s

So by all means the 512GB is the better choice - faster speed and 2x the capacity.

But in reality I doubt you will notice the difference all that much and if you are really doing a lot of heavy writing to your disk and speed is a factor, than it might be worth setting up a RAM Drive (ECC Reg memory is pretty cheap).

HP Recommended

MtothaJ wrote:

I think you will need to ask someone to do this for you. It shouldn't take long since the process is relatively straightforward, moreover on another forum a user has reported success with getting a NVMe drive to boot on a Z620.

Hi MtothaJ

Where did you read that report about the Z620 boot?

Greetings

Brian

HP Recommended

@Højmark wrote:

@MtothaJ wrote:

Hi MtothaJ

Greetings

Brian

Have a read of this, starting from the begining, on page 2 a guy mentions the Z620:

http://www.win-raid.com/t2375f25-Guide-NVMe-boot-without-modding-your-UEFI-BIOS-Clover-EFI-bootloade...

AFAIR there also might be something in the SSD section of the Overclockers forums in a thread titled soemthing like '960 Pro official thread'.

HP Recommended

@MtothaJ wrote:

@Højmark wrote:

@MtothaJ wrote:

Hi MtothaJ

Greetings

Brian

Have a read of this, starting from the begining, on page 2 a guy mentions the Z620:

http://www.win-raid.com/t2375f25-Guide-NVMe-boot-without-modding-your-UEFI-BIOS-Clover-EFI-bootloade...

AFAIR there also might be something in the SSD section of the Overclockers forums in a thread titled soemthing like '960 Pro official thread'.

Hi MtothaJ

Is there a way to trigger the booting when WinX already is in stalled? I managed to install both Win 8.1 and 10 the classical way. But I cant boot from it. I also wrote "the.ridikulus.rat", but so far no answer.

April 9th:

Ive managed to to install WinX today with the command "fs1:\EFI\Boot\Bootx64.efi" in the UEFI shell promt. After reboot I wasnt able finnish the installation by "load fs0:\EFI\Drivers\NvmExpressDxe-64.efi" I got a black screen with my boot screen in the background. I decided to make the .nsh script to what would happen. It did "something"? But all commends is like "'bla bla bla' is not recognized as...."

One "Error" says "The argument ' -r' is incorrect"

Greetings

Brian

HP Recommended

Samsung 950 Pro is the S H I T !!! Forget the rest when it comes to the Z420. This was soooo easy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.