Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@MtothaJ wrote:

@pinee wrote:

i have a z 420 madarbord

wonder if i can connect ''SAMSUNG 960 PRO '' through the pcie with a adapter like Mailiya M.2 PCIe And use it as a boot drive

want to install Windows 10-64 bit on it

Is it possible?

do i need some drive?

[By the way have not yet bought the SSD]

many thanks to answers:smileytongue:

I  can confirm that a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drives works fine as a boot drive in the Z420 as this is what I am using, so I the 960 Pro should also work fine.

I am also using one of those cheap PCIe -> m.2 cards and these work fine (Ali Express -> JEYI SK6), this one also supports m.2 Sata based drives on the same card. However, recently I have ordered another adapter card - one with a fan to help cooling the m.2 drive (something like this: http://www.ebay.pl/itm/M-Key-NVME-M-2-PCI-Express-4x-SSD-950-Pro-PM951-NGFF-to-PCI-e-Adapter-Fan-Coo... but order it on Ali Express for a much better price). I haven't yet recieved the card, but I think that its worthwhile to have the fan since m.2 drives can run pretty hot.

For the Samsung 950 Pro I am getting the following results:

Read 2,102 MB/s

Write 950 MB/s

The drive will work fine with the standard Microsoft NVMe drivers that come included in Windows but for best performance be sure to install Samsungs newest NVMe drivers - I think it is version 2.1 at the moment.

Hi @MtothaJ

HP Recommended

@Højmark wrote:

Hi @MtothaJ

I have a small boot problem with the 950 Pro. The first boot always freeze up, why is that you think? After holding the power button and reboot, its all good.

Greetings

Brian

I had this happen initially once or twice when going from a cold boot, never when restarting. I found that turning fast boot off in the bios seemed to resolve this. Sometimes when powering on it is normal that it takes a while longer, especially when Windows is updating. This can create the impression that the system has frozen up but if you leave it it will more likely than not proceed to booting.

One thing that you can try is the bios with the NVMe module added - Z420 / Z620 version: https://ufile.io/y0zyf

If you can get it to flash from the bios you should be able to boot without using the legacy oprom compatibility feature of the 950 Pro (i.e. straight UEFI NVMe boot), in which case you can turn legacy support off and fast boot can stay on.

HP Recommended

@MtothaJ wrote:

@Højmark wrote:

Hi @MtothaJ

I have a small boot problem with the 950 Pro. The first boot always freeze up, why is that you think? After holding the power button and reboot, its all good.

Greetings

Brian

I had this happen initially once or twice when going from a cold boot, never when restarting. I found that turning fast boot off in the bios seemed to resolve this. Sometimes when powering on it is normal that it takes a while longer, especially when Windows is updating. This can create the impression that the system has frozen up but if you leave it it will more likely than not proceed to booting.

One thing that you can try is the bios with the NVMe module added - Z420 / Z620 version: https://ufile.io/y0zyf

If you can get it to flash from the bios you should be able to boot without using the legacy oprom compatibility feature of the 950 Pro (i.e. straight UEFI NVMe boot), in which case you can turn legacy support off and fast boot can stay on.

Hi @MtothaJ

HP Recommended

@MtothaJ wrote:

@Højmark wrote:

Hi @MtothaJ

Greetings

Brian

Hi @MtothaJ

HP Recommended

Anyone who've managed to get the 960 PRO to work with the Z420? 

I've tried flashing the modified BIOS (w/NVMe support), and when booting up with only the 960 PRO connected, Win10 installer finds the disk and lets me partition/etc, but when the installer is rebooting the disk can't be found.

If anyone has managed to get this working, can you post your BIOS settings and what you've done to make it work?

As for the system, it's a Xeon E5-1620 v2. The 960 PRO is connected to the main board with a ASUS Hyper M.2 X4 MINI M.2-PCIe-adapter. Boot block date is 03/06/2013, if that should matter.

HP Recommended
I have not actually operated my own so I have no answer for you

by the way
you have a great system
HP Recommended

as far as I know NVME drives will not work on z420/620/820

they are supported from  z x40 series

what will work on z420/620/820 is PCI AHCI drives like Samsung PCIE M.2 950/951 with AHCI firmware, aka HP Turbo Drive G1 (EOL)

Samsung 951/960 NVME firmware will not work as boot drives 

just go with SATA SSD, real life speed and system responsiveness is similar for any SSD 🙂

HP Recommended

You're absolutely right
SSD SATA does the trick!
:generic:

HP Recommended

ok, lets clear up some misinformation found in this thread.

1. the HP z220/420/620/820 workstations CAN NOT BOOT FROM A NVME BASED SSD, they lack the nessary bios code for this, the nvme drive can be used as a data drive however

2. the samsung sm950 and sm 960  SSD NVME drives are completely diffrent items, the sm 950 is a older ssd that did have the nessary nvme code embeded into it's bios which allowed it to boot on older systems that lacked native bios nvme code

the sm960 nvme drive is a newer generation SSD that no longer includes the legacy  bios code, as such it is unable to boot on a system that does not have the bios support for nvme drives

3. as a general rule of which systems support booting from nvme drives you can use the intel chipset used on the motherboard as a guide  x99 chipsets and newer do support booting from nvme x79 chipsets mostly do not but a few do, however they are quite rare, x58 chipsets and earlier will not support nvme ssd booting no matter who the motherboard maker is

SATA based SSD's will work on all motherboards as a boot drive, and the midrange/high end ssd's are not that much slower than a nvme based drive when used on a SATA 6GBps interface even a SATA 3GBps interface is not that slow for most users due to how they access files on their computer

4. pay attention to the ssd specs!!!! as a example the samsung SM951 ssd is available in both SATA and NVME and the model numbers between the two differs by only one letter!! be sure that the ssd you want to buy is the proper interface for your system (SATA or nvme)

5.  using  pci-e m.2 carrier boards, these boards support one, two , four  m.2 format ssd's on one pci-e card

you need to pay attention to the number of pci-e links the carrier board and the SSD supports

most m.2 ssd's use either 2 or 4 pci-e links (x2/x4) and most single ssd carrier boards are x4 which allows just about any m.2 ssd to work on the carrier card

however the reverse is not allways true, some x4 based m.2 ssd's will not work in a x2 slot and some will. so you will have to check with the maker of the sdd to see if their x4 ssd model will work in a x2 interface

the above should help most people wanting to install a ssd in their computer

HP Recommended

Does that include the latest BIOS 3.92?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.