cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
KSDavis
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP Z440 WDS WinPE PXE Network boot drivers

HP Recommended
Z440
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm creating a Windows 7 WDS deployment image for our new Z440's but am having difficulty getting the WDS boot image to recognise the NIC in the Z440.

When I boot in to Windows on C: everything works fine and the NIC is recognised as an "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I1218-LM", using driver file E1D62X64.sys. It leases an IP address successfully from the DHCP server, so I'm confident the physical hardware works and is connected properly. I have even gone into the BIOS and reset to factory defaults.

I have tried a number of driver sources to inject into the boot.wim file, all without success. After every failure I delete the Win7 folders including sources\boot.wim, and start with a freshly extracted copy from the Win7 SP1 ISO source file. I then follow the 3-step process to mount the image, inject the drivers and unmount the image with the /commit switch. The drivers all report as successfully installed.

The driver sources so far:

HP drivers for the NIC from the Z440 support downloads page (R19_338993).

The Intel generic X64 drivers from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713 - the PROXGB folder has WinPE driver inf file updates for NDIS62 and NDIS63, both of which have been tried.

The HP WinPE 3.0 drivers from http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HP_WinPE_DriverPack.html

I then Add a boot image in WDS 2008R2, and right click the image to Create a Capture Image. I'm confident the DISM processes are working as the boot image file here changes size every time I redo it.

I then boot via PXE (F12) and load the Capture image, which all seems to work except the NIC - Boot BIOS PXE gets a DHCP address, offers me the new boot image, loads it, and presents the first confirmation screen. I click Next, press Shift-F10 to get a cmd prompt, type "ipconfig", and it returns nothing (normally I'd expect to see a NIC entry there even if it's having difficulty getting an IP lease). If the volume is Sysprepped when booting to this stage I get the option to select drive C: as the source, and the cmd prompt sees drive C: without issue (HP Z-Drive 256GB).

Any ideas / help? As is always the case, we have a few more of these machines turning up in a couple of weeks and I'll be away so I need to get this driver issue sorted out. At the moment, I only have the one machine so can't experiment on another.

KR, Kevin

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Charles_Spencer
4 4 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anybody ever solve this?  I have the exact same problem, right down to the drivers I've already tried.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation