Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a problem with my HP Z600. I bought an GTX 580 and install it, as I know it needs 6 pin + 8 pin so I connected the 6 pin from power supply and 8 pin from 4 pin molex adapter to 8 pin. When I start playing game the PC just shuts down and then boots again.... What it can be? P.S. I tryed to connect additional power to GTX 580 using another additional PSU (300W) and everything works fine, but thats not ok.... What should I do? the Z600's PSU is 650W as I know and it must be ok for GTX 580... I Also use 2HDD 7200 RPM + 5400 and CPU is X5570 (95W) also 2 slots of RAM DDR3 (2GB+4GB), Waiting for someones help please, thank you!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

Under heavy load the GTX can use as much as 350 Watt of power and I am sure that the PSU in your system was probably not designed for such use even if the overall wattage should be able to handle it (many times the wattage written on the PSU is the absolut max and can not be handled for much time or at all) . It can also be the distribution of power on the different channels causing the power problem. I would buy a brand name PSU with at least an 80+ guarantee. A good PSU of 750 Watt.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for reply.  But another people who have GTX 580 on that workstation are telling that it's working fine, what else it can be?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I still think it is a power problem. Is this the kind of wire you used for the 8pin connection?

http://www.miniinthebox.com/it/0-15-m-0-45ft-doppio-molex-a-4-pin-ide-a-8-pin-pci-e-cavo-di-alimenta...

Are the molex you used from the power supply on two different channels (two different cables coming out of the PSU)?

David

HP Recommended
Hi, I connect only 1 molex to 8 pin adapter. But with another additional psu 1 molex to 8 pin working fine.
HP Recommended
I also tried to do DIY cable and connect 1 molex and 1 sata power to 8 pin adapter and still the same problem(
HP Recommended

If it works correctly with another power supply, it means the power supply in the system is not giving enough power to the card and you should change the power supply for a better one. The cost is not much.

David

HP Recommended

man, you've probably never seen a Z600 Workstation...

HP Recommended
I think the answer is much easier - hp z600 can give maximum 150W power to GPU. The end.
HP Recommended

@gabornico, do you need a guide on how to add some power to a z600?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.