cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SalSimp
Level 3
48 46 0 20
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP Z840 - Adding Electronic Serial Number (ESN)

HP Recommended
Z840
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My motherboard died and I bought a used replacement. The replacement board has the ESN from the machine that had been trashed and sold in parts. It works great but the serial embedded in it is different than the one in my workstation's case.  On the Z820 you could change it in the BIOS (Ctrl-A in the Security menu) but the same procedure does not work in the Z840. I just want it all to match. Any ideas?  TIA

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
130,789 120,966 19,847 30,350
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is very odd that the control-A method doesn't work.

I have attached the old electronic serial number programming tool that works on many HP business desktops.

I know it worked on models up to and including the 8100 Elite CMT (made around 2010), however I have no idea if it will work on the Z840.

You will need to use a USB FDD, and probably you will have to run the utility on a XP computer for it for format the floppy disk and make it bootable.

It cannot be run by any other means.

Other than that, you would have to take it to an authorized HP service center and have them tattoo the BIOS with the serial number on the case sticker.

SalSimp
Author
Level 3
48 46 0 20
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for taking the time for the response. I have tried it (the app) but it does not work ... it appears modifying the ESN has been turned into a 'write once' option. Control-A, I have been told, works only if the ESN is missing (blank), as in a brand new board. Once it is iserted then Control-A does not work any longer. Surely there must be a secret set of keystrokes to modify it in the event of input errors.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
130,789 120,966 19,847 30,350
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that tool didn't work for you.

0 Kudos
joselso
Level 4
100 84 5 15
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z840 should still be under 3-year warranty by HP, so if the motherboard 'dies', expect HP Support to provide a brand-new motherboard at no cost, and then it is the responsibility of HP technician to insert the correct serial number and other system-specific info' that should be included in the BIOS.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation