cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ErdalERDAL
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP Z840 HDD to SSD

HP Recommended
HP Z840
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi;

I have a new HP Z840 workstation with 1 TB HDD that is default.

In addition to this configuration, I have added a HP z drive 512gb ssd inside.

However, the windows operation system (Win 7 Pro) is installed on 1 TB HDD, I want to launch the OS on SSD.

I tried to recovery, but it just start and finish without hard drive selection.

How can I do this operation, HDD to SSD without setting up a new OS?

Thank you

Erdal ERDAL

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Z440Roger
Level 5
161 157 12 46
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don´t have the answer, but i have seen to many failures when people are trying to do this. I get that you don´t want to set up the OS again, but that will be the fastest and most fail safe approach. 🙂

0 Kudos
SDH
Level 10
2,232 2,187 206 640
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do not have access to a Z840 to test with, but here is what I have done multiple times with  the xw6400 xw6600 Z400 Z600 and Z620 workstations:

I use a bootable Acronis True Image CD or USB to capture a clone image of the W7Pro64 install from the boot HDD, and restore to a freshly NTFS formatted SSD from the image (which is on an external eSATA attached drive).  These are not RAID builds.... they are single boot HDD with documents HDD also in place, to start with.  The HDD  and subsequent SSD clone build is running under latest BIOS from HP, and the OS install has been properly created by HP (from factory) or by me, both having the small "System" reserved partition properly present.  You can confirm that via Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Computer Management> Storage> Disk Management.  That is also where you can see if HP has a Restore partition also present on your boot drive.

If a HP Restore partition is present on the HP HDD I capture that also in the process, and that gets transferred over to the SSD build automatically.  That is still usable (unless it has already been used).... you get access to create only one Restore backup installer from each unused Restore partition.

I'm preferring only Intel SSDs, and if the workstation was a SATA Gen II one I use Intel SATA Gen II target SSD.  I run BIOS in Legacy mode.  SATA emulation is always set to RAID + AHCI.  I use the Intel ToolBox SSD software to fine tune the SSD after install.

The Acronis method I am using will automatically upsize or downsize the OS HDD clone to the SSD.  That is, if the HDD has less data on it than the SSD is in size the process will work.  That image can be used to clone onto another SSD in the future, so if the build is from HP the HP OEM COA will work on another same-type workstation.  If it is one of my builds from a System Builder DVD with unique COA then the clone to the same workstation will work fine under that COA, but to another same-type workstation I'll need to feed it another COA within 3 days.

A 500GB boot HDD will clone over to a 160GB SSD fine if the amount on the HDD is less than 160GB.  I generally now am using at least 300GB SSD, and you want to leave about 20% of a SSD unused for its best utilization.

I have been using this process for over 2.5 years, with no issues at all.  I know some other posters have suggested it cannot be done, but that is not the case.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation