Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 2 (883 Views)

HP a6001.uk processor upgrade

Hi

I have an HP a6001.uk desktop pc which came with an intel celeron d 3.46GHZ processor and now feel that it is outdated and therefore time to upgrade.  After looking at the list of compatiable processors on the hp website, which are:

Socket type: 775

• Core 2 Duo (Conroe) up to E4300
    Pentium D (Presler) up to 960 (3.6 GHz
  • Pentium 4 (Cedar Mill) up to 661 (3.6 GHz

Celeron D (Cedar Mill) up to 365 (3.6 GHz

Celeron D (Prescott) up to 355 (3.33GH

I then found a number of processors which i would be interested in but where not sure if they were compatiable.  These were:

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5400 2.7GHz 800FSB Socket 775 2MB (2x1MB) L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Clock Speed - 2.7 GHz
    L2 Cache - 2 MB
    Bus/Core Ratio - 13.5
    FSB Speed - 800 MHz
    Instruction Set - 64-bit
    Lithography - 45 nm
    Max TDP - 65 W
    VID Voltage Range - 0.8500V–1.3625 

OR

Intel Celeron E3400 2.6GHz 800Mhz FSB 1MB Cache Retail Box Processor

• Dual Core
    • Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology
    • Intel EM64T 1
    • Intel Virtualization Technology
    • Enhanced Halt State (C1E)
    • Execute Disable Bit 2
    • Intel Thermal Monitor 2

CPU Speed - 2.6GHZ
    Bus Speed - 800MHz
    L2 Cache - 1MB
    Socket - 775
    Thermal Power Design - 65

So my question is, are either of these processors compatiable with my motherboard which is a 945GCT-HM (Livermore)?

Many thanks in anticipation of your response.

jimmyd3333

0 Kudos
    Highlighted
    Dean
    Message 2 of 2 (880 Views)

Re: HP a6001.uk processor upgrade

Its a gamble if it is not on the compatibility list, sometimes HP will add processors to a bios update, but they do not always reveal what processors microcode was added and do not update the compatibility list.

You might Google your model + processor upgrade to see if any search results help in answering this question, someone on another forum may have done what you want to do and posted their results.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation