Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (3,035 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP d530 -HDD not recognized, "Non-System disk or disk error"-

Greetings,

This is a computer of a friend. It seems he has lost all CDs and/or floppy disks that came with the computer. I see that HDD recognition doesn't seem to happen in SETUP (BIOS), so I assume that a setup disk or CD of some sort is required.

The only boot options that are available at this time are:

CD-ROM

USB

Floppy

No hard drive recognized. I was able to boot up on the CD-ROM drive with a LiveCD Linux version but it also confirmed that no HDD is recognized at the time. I suppose it is possible that IDE 1 port is dead.

I did attempt to reset the CMOS by holding in SW50 for 5 seconds but that didn't help in recognizing the HDD.

So the model number is:

HP d530

SFF(DC578AV)

p/n DC578AV

Restoring XP on this machine would be the best option but if I can get the HDD recognized and install some version of Linux, that would be OK also.

Thanks for any help,

Doug 

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: HP d530 -HDD not recognized, "Non-System disk or disk error"-

Assuming the hard drive is on a different IDE channel than the CD drive, try swapping them.  If the CD is still seen and the hard drive is not, it would make sense that the hard drive is defective.  If the Linux Live CD cannot see the hard drive after the swap, that is a sure sign it is done.
View solution in context
Dean
Message 2 of 4 (3,016 Views)

Assuming the hard drive is on a different IDE channel than the CD drive, try swapping them.  If the CD is still seen and the hard drive is not, it would make sense that the hard drive is defective.  If the Linux Live CD cannot see the hard drive after the swap, that is a sure sign it is done.
{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (3,008 Views)

TheOldMan, 

I am not sure why I was assuming that the hard drive was still ok but anyway, I followed a modified version of your suggestion and stuck an old 3.2 gig hard drive on the IDE 1 channel and it found that hard drive right away (even though it said it was on the verge of failing).

Guess I will just keep trying old hard drives from the closet until I find one that will boot. I wonder how a 520 MB hard drive with windows 3.1 will work on this system?

Thanks for taking the time to help,

Doug

Honor Student
Message 4 of 4 (2,994 Views)

Additional information:

The power supply was dead, (kinda sparked when first plugged in), so I replaced that with one that was laying around. The CD-ROM drive I figured out after a while was only working marginally (also had an old one laying around) that is working better than the other one.

Windows XP is in the middle of being installed and things look OK.

Thanks again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation