cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Oldphartster
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

HP dc58002 windows7 sound quit, red X over sound icon, was working previously

HP Recommended
HP compaq dc58002
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Recently, (few months ago) my desktop HP dc58002 windows7 sound quit, on bootup now has a red X over the sound icon, was working previously for youtube, local radio, music CDs, now just beeps on forced keyboard error. Cannot find other than a small computer speaker inside, local guy says should be another because small computer speaker will not give me the previous audio. Have never had any exterior speaker/earbuds connected. Audio troubleshoot says "The peripheral does not appear to be plugged in. Check the connection. Proceed to next step to finish". Trying to self-solve probably made it a more convoluted problem. Can I plug cellphone earphones into front?

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
31,655 31,562 2,873 6,941
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Oldphartster

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I find it highly unlikely that any desktop would have additional internal speakers.  The speaker that is there is not really for listening to music; instead, it is a hold over from older days when PCs emitted "beeps" to indicate hardware failures.

Any speaker for a desktop is going to plug into a stereo audio jack (light green) on the back of the unit.  There is also likely to be an earphone jack on the front of the unit.

Here is the HP product page, drivers and software, that I could find for the HP CD5800 Microtower PC:  http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=3658084&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4059

I don't know what version of Win7 you are running, so you will have to select that using the pulldown.

Then when you get the driver page, download the ADI driver under Drivers- Audio.

When you install that and reboot, the red x should vanish and you should have audio.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
130,894 121,071 19,873 30,393
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, @WAWood :

Most HP business desktops have an internal speaker that plays anything you want it to, just not in stereo, since there is only one speaker.

I have always owned HP dc/Elite business desktop PC's, and every one of them has had an internal speaker.

I can assure you that the dc5800 has one too. See pages 2 and 12 at the link below.

http://www.nordykassociates.com/pdf/dc5800%20QuickSpecs.pdf

The internal speaker is automatically disabled when you connect a set of PC speakers in the audio out jack.

On the other hand, no HP consumer desktop PC that I know of comes with an internal speaker (except for the all in ones).

Oldphartster
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, guys, WA & Paul, it's a joy when one is in deep do-do, and a new member gets two helpful replies within 10 minutes, or less. I have one tin ear that's missing a lot of tones, so stereo does not hold any deep attraction for me, now, but I have always had audio on the internal speaker; actually, the set of good speakers gave me terrible sound, so they lasted about 10 minutes. I downloaded the ADI driver, answered YES to the "overwrite all?" question, only to be told that it must be running but could not be started, and the download was successful. Ran TFC by Oldtimer (I'm tempted to kiss that guy) then shut it down, then reboot, same again, shut it off again, and still the red X. I don't know when this started, but it was probably only 7 - 10 days ago, as an old racing friend sent me a youtube link to an old-time racing documentary, and the sound would not play; I haven't bothered to listen to radio/music for close to a year.

I did get a clue tonight, tho, as I picked up some malware, a year ago, that wouldn't let me get the  MSE or Windows updates, and I have not been able to get the Windows updates for 4 - 6 days, which is unusual, so I think I have to dig up the whole list and run it all again. I believe I got it from Bleepingcomputer.com. Geekstogo is also good. BYW, I'm ruinning Win7 Home Professional, on a refurb by astsys.com, an authorized refurber.

Your help is much appreciated, and I will update when I have results, but, in the meantime, thumbs up to you both.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You might need to reinstall Windows.

Could be that the registry is corrupted pretty bad.

Did the refurbisher give you a copy of W7 Pro and the product key?

That PC originally came with Windows Vista Business, so ordering recovery disks from HP won't be of much use.

Another thing you can check is to go to the control panel>hardware and sound>manage audio devices>and ensure the PC speaker is set as the default audio device.

Also in the soundmax control panel there is an option to enable independent controls.  I always check that and then sound works via multiple outputs.

You will have to restart the PC and go back to the manage audio devices section and make sure the  PC speaker is set to the default if you make that change.

Oldphartster
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did not get a copy of W7 Pro, but the product key is on a sticker on the cabinet. I did go to  the control panel>sound>manage audio devices>and tried to ensure the PC speaker is set as the default audio device, but, since the software thinks there is no speaker connected, I cannot set the default. It's time to clean the system.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, if the product key on the case is for W7 Pro (and not Vista Business which is what it originally came with), then here is the link to the W7 Pro SP1 English 64 bit ISO file download.

The link will be good for 24 hours.

https://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win7_Pro_SP1_English_x64.iso?t=b48367ce-2be8-44d0-a35d-92...

The W7 Pro product key on your PC's case should work with the above file.

You can use this tool to transfer the file to a 4 GB USB flash drive or DVD, or use your favorite DVD burning program to burn the file to a DVD.  You have to use the Burn ISO option so that the DVD is bootable.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
31,655 31,562 2,873 6,941
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen

Thanks for the information, but if you look closely at my post, I said "additional" speakers -- as I already know that desktops come with a single speaker.  I even mentioned the presence of the single speaker.

In the OPs original post, they mentioned that the "local guy said there should be another" (speaker) -- which is almost certainly NOT the case.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Oldphartster
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, guys, it seems to be fixed. Here's what I did: ran TFC.exe by Oldtimer, shut down, waited 20 seconds, did a cold boot, updated MSE, tried Windows Update (said "no updates available" ( and this after 5 days), shut down, did a cold boot into Basic, ran TFC.exe by Oldtimer, updated MSE, ran TFC.exe by Oldtimer, did a cold boot into Basic, ran TFC.exe by Oldtimer, updated MSE, and, finally, ran a full scan in MSE, which took about 2 hours, removed the single malware programme, and shut down. This morning I did a cold boot, where I found my desktop totally re-arranged, ran MSE, ran Windows Update, and was successful. I then did a "Restore", which moved all my icons into the proper onscreen location.

The full scan revealed that the malware was Exploit:HTML/Meadgive.W, and here are the notes from the MSE full scan results page:

First published: Oct 03, 2016
 Latest published: Jan 24, 2017
Exploit:HTML/Meadgive.W
Alert level: Severe

1/25/17:  removed Exploit:HTML/meadgive.W

Here are 2 MS URLs  on malware, and it was very interesting to read that, now, to get your machne infected, one has only to click on a picture that has the malware embedded in it. My computer guy keeps saying "You've been somewhere where you're not supposed to go", so now I can reiterate "No, I haven't".

webscript:http://9r4.theotheralien.com/?q=wHnQMvXcJwDIFYbGMvrESaNbNknQA0SPxpH2_drSdZqxKGni2eb5UUSk6FS&tuif=529...

https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/entry.aspx?name=Exploit%3aHTML%2fMeadg...

Your replies were most helpful in my being able to focus after reading the solutions you offered, and I will be widening my small amount of knowledge on being able to solve system problems, especially since I stll have the red X on the speaker icon, and also, again, on the message icon to the right of the speaker icon.

I will again post when the speaker problem is solved, to let you know the proceedure I used. In the meantiime, any & all suggestions will be welcomed.

0 Kudos
Oldphartster
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My last posting was disjointed, and probably misleading, but when I said "it seems to be fixed", I meant to say that the malware seems to have been removed.  Today, I have a red X on the Speaker icon, and also on the PC Issues icon, so am still looking for a solution to give me sound, and to remove the red X.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation