Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Jasonwright43 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP p6230a runs slow after bios update - Getting error BIODHD-8 on Diagnostic Tools

After bios update my desktop runs so painfully slow it is unworkable.  Disk drive seems to be constantly hammered by processes that don't appear on task manager.  Running 64 bit windows 7 (sp1).  Running the diagnostic tools prior to boot up comes up with error code BIOHD-8 - A SMART test failed on the drive - please contact HP Support.  Ideally would like to get previous version of bios as machine was running well before update. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
45640 4311 10955
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP p6230a runs slow after bios update - Getting error BIODHD-8 on Diagnostic Tools

Where did you get a BIOS update from?

There are no BIOS updates available for Windows 7 64-bit at the HP support portal -->  Drivers and Software download section. I took a look at all of the available drivers and software for each applicable OS. 

No_BIOS_Updates.jpg

Click on the Thumbs up to say thanks .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
Jasonwright43 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I assumed that the bios update came from HP as I only do recommended updates from the HP alerts on my PC.  Is there a reason I'm getting the reported error (see above) on diagnostic tools?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
45640 4311 10955
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will ask my HP Employee Expert colleagues about this internally. It will take a while for them to respond.

the BIODHD-8 error code means your harddrive is failing and must be replaced.

Back up everything that you possibly can before it fails and no longer boots up into Windows .

is your notebook still within the standard warranty period of one year? A notebook hard disk is a warranty replaceable item.(no cost to you while within warranty) 

HP notebook warranty status check website

Click on the Thumbs up to say thanks .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
426 49 287
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jason - As Erico mentioned, the failure code would normally indicate the hard drive is failing and is not related to the BIOS update itself.

However, there is a small chance a BIOS setting was accidentally set when the update occured.

Can you please try the following:

If this PC has a single HDD (not RAID) make sure the HDD type set in BIOS is NOT set to RAID - this can cause false SMART fails - reset HDD to AHCI in BIOS, save change, restart PC and test it again

Can you reply whether this did, or did not resolve your issue?

Also, if you can list the exact BIOS version that is now installed, and your "product number" (not your serial number) this will help

I am an HP employee

-Bryan
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation