cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TheONLYhamster
Level 2
14 12 0 6
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP pavilion 550-500na cooling

HP pavilion 550-500na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok after doing some research I'm thinking about upgrading my pavilion to an nvidia GTX 970 ITX graphics card

with a corsair RM650 RM PSU, but my main consern is cooling for the most part, i've already made the mistake of trying to fit a full sized GTX 970 into the case and it didn't fit xD

but seeing as the ITX model is over half the size of the full one being a little over 17cm's in length and 13cms in width its got enough space but:

i am not sure whether my case is positive or a negative air pressure and whether its cooling would be sufficient for both the PSU and the gtx 970 itx

so the base line is: whats the air pressure of my case and would the cooling be sufficient?

any help would be much apprieciated thx in advanced 🙂 

My PC: https://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04556684

PSU: http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/rm-series-rm650-80-plus-gold-certified-power-supply

GTX 970 itx: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-1076MHz-Dl-Dvi-I-Dl-Dvi-D-Graphics/dp/B00P7337YG

->>> alt link for 970 itx: http://www.gigabyte.eu/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5252#ov

again help is most appriciated 🙂 thx in advanced

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
AtBo
Level 6
178 173 11 38
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The card will generate quite a bit of heat compared to what you are used to (at high usage levels especially).  I can only say that blowing air out is generally considered better than blowing air in.  The ideal situation, if the graphics card is low with the fan pointing up, would be blowing air in from the bottom side and then blowing out from the mid/upper back (above the graphics card fan).  Conversely, if the graphics card is high with the fan pointing down and then with the exhaust low on the case, that would work well too.

Found this picture of the side of your PC, which appears to be well vented, but it would help to see the location of your fan on the back of the PC:

http://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97da...

Likely the vents on the side are dedicated to the processor, so you might end up reversing the above mentioned options.  You could start by turning the back fan around so that it blows in and then attach a fan to blow out from the side.

If you could take the cover off and provide a picture that would help.  The best situation would be a motherboard where the graphics card is low on the board with its fan pointing up and then the exhaust fan above that.

I have a 6200 PRO that has a case with a good arrangement for a card, but it lacks a side vent.  Even with a vent, you would have to do some modding (add screw holes) to add a fan to the inside of the side of the case.  That's a nice card, so I could see how under the right circumstances you might be willing to do this if the case was heating up too much.  You also may be able to find an improvement over the exhaust fan in the back that could improve air circulation...

I think you are in the situation where it's best to try the card and see.  It's a great card.  Love to drop one of those in this HP 6200.  BTW, 600 watts should handle the card fine...

TheONLYhamster
Level 2
14 12 0 6
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

WP_20160112_22_27_57_Pro.jpg

here is a pic of the inside of my pc, it looks really innefficient, the fan at the back blows outwards if you're wondering 

WP_20160112_22_28_19_Pro.jpgthis is the space i have between my current graphics card (705 gt) and my current PSU

TheONLYhamster
Level 2
14 12 0 6
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

for a bigger picture: WP_20160112_22_27_57_Pro.jpg

i was thinking if my case is way too small to get a case along the lines of this? :

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/graphite-series-230t-compact-mid-tower-case 

it seems a decent size

AtBo
Level 6
178 173 11 38
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I think with the position of the graphics card with it pointing up toward the power supply, you will have air flow difficulties with any case. You could find a case with the PSU on the bottom, but the processor is in the way. With this mb, you are kind of stuck.

You might try this, though:

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Cyclone-Blower-Expansion-Cooling/dp/B000051299/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie...

Here is a pic of the 6200 I have here, so you can see the mb.

IMG_0205.JPG

Processor is toward the front of the case. The bottom black rail is the PCI-e. There isn't a fan at the front of the case, which would be really great, but it's pretty efficient. Case has a 600w PSU, so I am planning to add a Radeon r7 270.

For you I think the slot blower might be a good option. To change the layout of things, you would need to change motherboard and then add that to the cost of the case. Nice case you picked, but maybe the $12.50 is worth the cost to see if it works for you. The reviews seem to indicate that it blows and also that it can be flipped to point in either direction.

TheONLYhamster
Level 2
14 12 0 6
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ok well firstly i don't have the income or the money atm to buy a new motherboard as well as the case PSU and GTX 970 ITX. 

With the case i picked out as it does look rather efficient for cooling and airflow, would the space be big enough for everything if i placed the motherboard in differently? e.g. reversing the motherboard so the graphics card is upside down.

plus this pc has a really, really nice processor if you ask me and if i was to get a new motherboard i would have to unplug the processor anyway which ideally i don't want to do as i don't want to damage it.

im not so tech savvy when it comes to components apart from the stats and where everything goes, but interchanging components is not one of my strong points (hence this forum) 

would this be a viable option to go for this case and just move all the components? as well as getting the new PSU and GTX 970 ITX 

0 Kudos
TheONLYhamster
Level 2
14 12 0 6
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

btw nice airflow blower/modulator, but i don't think that would fit above the GTX 970 itx in my current case, the space would be really tight with the new PSU if i did so

0 Kudos
Highlighted
TheONLYhamster
Level 2
14 12 0 6
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

sorry for the multiple posts there lol webpage glitch

0 Kudos
TheONLYhamster
Level 2
14 12 0 6
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I also found a few other cases that look very nice for cooling perferably i'd like a tower rather than a cube as my desk space at home isn't very big but here are a few other cases that look nice

1) http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/carbide-series-air-540-arctic-white-high-airflow-atx-cube-case

2) http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/graphite-series-760t-full-tower-windowed-case

3) http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/carbide-series-330r-titanium-edition-silent-mid-tower-case

perferably i'd like something cheaper but i do need the space for all my components for the air cooling, at this point i've decided my current case (HP 550-500na) has a too smaller form factor for any card upgrades i'd like even though it looks like an ATX case, its a poor design interior wise (in my opinion) components are great for a starting kit though.

0 Kudos
AtBo
Level 6
178 173 11 38
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

"btw nice airflow blower/modulator, but i don't think that would fit above the GTX 970 itx in my current case, the space would be really tight with the new PSU if i did so"

I understand what you mean about the space.  The only reason I was showing you the 6200 case was because the processor is in a different place on the motherboard and the PCI-e slot too.  I do think you can work with your current setup just fine really, but I can understand why you would like the capacity for more cooling.

You mention that with your new PSU, you wouldn't have as much space (sorry if you meant something else), but, it should be the same size as what you have now dimension-wise.  Also, putting the blower right underneath the power supply shouldn't be a problem at all.  That said, you are going have the same motheboard configuration even if you are 100% to get a new case, so the way everything orients will be the same.  Because this is true, maybe the corsair PCI fan could be part of your cooling solution.

One thing to note is the orientation of your motherboard in various cases.  Some cases are right side mount for the motherboard and some are left.  Your current case is a left side mount.  Most of the new/gaming PCs seem to be right side mount.  That makes a difference in the direction the graphics card's fan will point.  NOW, stop and think do i want the PSU high or the PSU low?  In the reverse case, now that your graphics card will point down (right side motherboard mount), a bottom mounted PSU will mean PSU below graphics card instead of exhaust fan.  So if you find a case that is PSU top and then has exhaust below the graphics card fan, the graphics air goes out fast.  On the other hand your processor is stuck up above the graphics card in a dead spot.  For sure I guess you should go with PSU low like in the Corsair case.  Anyway, hot air rises, so it's better to have the fan high.

You do have a weird dead spot below your graphics card (above the graphics card in your current case), where the best you can do is remove the PCI slot covers (flanges).  Anyway, even in a new case, I like some sort of slot fan there.  It would still be between the graphics card and the PSU, but it would actually serve to protect the PSU from hot air from the graphics card to a degree.  Just something to think about with that.

Those cases are really sharp.  I really like them, although they are quite expensive.  But you do get what you pay for and all of that.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation