cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TheONLYhamster Tutor
Tutor
15 12 0 6
Message 11 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP pavilion 550-500na cooling

thank you dude 😄

you have been a massive help!!

to be safe like you said: its better to have the extraction fan at the top, to remove the hot air faster: with one of the new cases (most likely this one: http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/graphite-series-230t-windowed-compact-mid-tower-case-rebel-orange)

the air flow is constant and that for me is better than my current case as my current case doesn't have a fan to suck air in to keep a constant flow even though air flows in the same way. not only that but its larger than my current case (from first looks) as its got more slots for graphics cards, not to mention the fact the new case has top ventilation for excess hot air to escape unlike my current case

but for now i shall get the GTX 970 ITX and PSU first with that cyclone blower and try it out in my current case.

you have been a great help and i am thankful for it 🙂 

you my friend desurve 100 kudos if you ask me (idk how to give 100 kudos lol just that they exist similar to likes xD)

i can't thank you enough 

Grad Student
Grad Student
186 173 11 38
Message 12 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You're welcome.  I love graphics cards and all of the hardware issues especially, so I am very happy to be able to try to help any way I can think of to do so.

Oh yes, you will get big air flow with this case.  It has the same air flow as the others you linked, but it is a very good price.  I liked the other ones very much, but I think I actually like this one even better.  It's super clean.

You are right, you will have constant flow out the back where the graphics fan will be pointed toward the bottom (toward the PSU) because of the giant fans in the front pushing the air back.  The PCI slots are grated for air flow so that is perfect.  What I like about that little slot fan card, although it might not be the answer for anything, is that it might be the extra 5 or 6 degrees you want later when you would like to fine tune your performance and all.

Good luck with the setup.  I am sure it works out well for you short and long term.  The 970 is going to be amazing for sure 🙂

Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher
115 98 2 16
Message 13 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@TheONLYhamster:

I hope you return with the results of your new hardware and graphics card install and let us know the results, it might help someone else that wants to do something similar. 

A follow up post would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

TheONLYhamster Tutor
Tutor
15 12 0 6
Message 14 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I shall be buying my neww components very soon to make the tests so you can see the results (i will however have to find some heat testing program for the components as idk how hot they will burn in the case lol))

btw just to ensure my PC has the right specs, will my Memphis2-s motherboard support the 970 itx? just to save my self the bother of testing it and finding out if its compatible or not, that way if it can't i'll get a new motherboard ASAP

thanks again in advanced 🙂 

from TheONLYHamster 

Grad Student
Grad Student
186 173 11 38
Message 15 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

TheONLYhamster...Can't find a definitive yes or no on the Memphis 2-s motherboard. I saw some references to the Memphis s motherboard, but nothing about the 2-s. With the new PSU, power will be fine.

The only question is whether the vBIOS in your PC will support the changeover. I did see a reference to someone attempting to add a GTX 560 onto a Memphis s board, and he was unsuccessful. The reply mentioned that HP BIOSes are not good for upgrades when it comes to graphics.

The main thing this brings to mind is a fairly serious question about what to do if you require a new board. Your current board is mATX, but the case you are looking into will support a standard ATX should you care to go that way. That leaves you in a bind in that if you would rather go with an ATX board, it won't fit in your current case. Here is some info:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/819380/good-motherboard-for-a-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-970-g1-g...

You CAN go with a mATX board if you have to get one, and the 970 will still work fine.

One other issue. Your Windows key is good for the life of your PC but only for that PC. I highly recommend calling MS to make sure you can use the key with a new motherboard. Here is the number. Migrate to the activation department:

(888) 571-2048

It's so wise to call ahead of making decisions when it comes to MS.

Honestly, if you have to get a new board, I think you will be fine with a mATX. It's smaller, but that's really the only difference. Also, you can save a little bit of money on the mATX that you can put toward your new case. Hopefully, you won't need a new board.  I have my fingers crossed on this, but I am 50-50 at best with the board. I hope it works.

BTW, this gives me hope:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/need-help-select-a-gpu-for-mb-me...

If your board will support the 750, it will also support 9 series...

Another:

http://208.74.204.203/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Not-sure-if-video-card-will-fit-my-m...

No mention that the vBIOS won't support the 9 series. Big_Dave should know, and I have noticed that the HP personnel are careful to assist and to say so when there could be a graphics card incompatibility with the vBIOS.

Keep the questions coming. You will get to the bottom of how to go...

TheONLYhamster Tutor
Tutor
15 12 0 6
Message 16 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

i am extremely annoyed T_T

eventually after struggling to fit the new PSU and graphics card into my old PC, i tried moving the motherboard over to the new case, the major problem is the fact there is no manual online detailing which slots were for what, I'm not so hardware literate when it comes to a motherboard but even i know that its going to be a bad design if theres no manuals on the internet for the memphis2-s. Not to mention THIS BOARD BENDS, quite literally when i took it out of the case it bent wth the weight of the processor like it was made of rubber. on another note: there was no where to attach my 2 front fans for cooling making the board redundant in the first place

even my uncle who i got to help me couldn't find any, this left me being unable to connect my front fans in my new case, not to mention the fact that its very bendy, meaning to say how cheaply build it was made. on another note me and my friend tried to use his GTX 970 ITX from his case in a "test" 500-550na he brought just to see if it would work, he had to use a fresh hard drive operating install, as it seemed the OS already installed was rejecting the card, however even after the re-install it was still rejecting the card, note we had to take all the hard ware out of the case just to see if it was possible to work with the components

not to mention the fact the case is AWFUL, completely inflexible, screws were placed in the most awkward places not to mention the fact that the old PSU was anchored in by some piece of metal making it seem like it wouldn't come out. 

Over all the HP pavilion 500-550na and the memphis2-s CANNOT be upgraded.

I'm now having to get a new CPU, Motherboard, RAM and hard drive all because this machine cannot be upgraded, to those that are thinking of upgrading an HP pavilion 500 series (mine being the 550na) , you'd be better off saving money and buying all your components outright. 

this pc is so cheaply built its unbelievable, :L

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Grad Student
186 173 11 38
Message 17 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

TheONLYHamster...

Sorry to hear of your disappointing results with the tests. Just a note of reassurance, for what it's worth...as underdesigned as the PC may be, it may still be of use somehow, so I hope not all is lost on that end. Ultimately, I hope you are able to come up with the perfect gaming machine for you. 

BTW, I have had this difficulty myself. OEM stock PCs really are not designed for the most part for upgradeability. It can be a very limiting factor in owning one.

Once again, good luck with your PC you will be putting together. I am sure it will be just what you want and expect...

0 Kudos
TheONLYhamster Tutor
Tutor
15 12 0 6
Message 18 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

thanks AtBo 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation