Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP phone call

HP Recommended
HP ENVY 23-d250xt TouchSmart A
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I received a phone call from HP  here is the number  844-55-2555   They said my computer has stopped receiving updates and someone else has logged into it and taken over.   How do I verify this?  is this a scam/

It is true that my computer is not receiving updates.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,488 23,427 2,167 5,113
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Lizslatt

This is a SCAM!  HP does not do any unsolicited calling to notify folks of possible computer problems.

It IS true that Win7/8 PCs NOW have problems receiving updates, but this is a global problem, not just with your PC.

You can try these steps below --as it got my PC working with Windows Udpate again: 

Download these updates before starting the installation process and copy them to a USB flash drive.

Disconnect the network cable or disable the WiFi.

Install these two updates from the flash drive before connecting to the network and running Windows Update.

KB Links:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083710
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

Have to stop the Windows Update service BEFORE installing each of these: net stop wuauserv

NOTE: KB3172605 supercedes KB3161608 which supercedes KB3102810

Then, after you re-enable Windows Update, it should only take 2-4 hours to find and do the updates, not days.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I checked the white pages for the phone number and they have it listed as scam!  Many people receiving different calls from the same number.  Claiming to be from  Dell or Norton.  Crazy!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you!  I think I will hire a computer guy to do this for me.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation