Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My machine is a P7-1370.

While researching PSU's, I found this statement at http://www.smps.us/power-connectors.html:

"Compaq and HP also used incompatible systems. As a rule of thumb, if you have a branded PC,
you should suspect it may be incompatible with the industry standard."

But in this forum I read about people replacing PSU's in HP machines with Corsair's etc.

Is there any incompatibility in the HP pin-outs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The newer HP consumer class PCs from my observation use standard ATX power supplies. Some of the business class PCs have been known to use propriety power supplies.  You might find some of the older HP PCs using a 20 pin ATX connector.

It takes a while for standards to shake out.  While using a standardized ATX power supply may save on costs it might not meet the requirements for a particular need hence the need for a special model. Sequencing up power for peripherals is a case that I have seen in the past that has required a specialized power supply.  Another situation might be with a small form factor cabinet where a typical power supply would not fit.

I have seen power supplies that are interchangeable between Dell and HP.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

The newer HP consumer class PCs from my observation use standard ATX power supplies. Some of the business class PCs have been known to use propriety power supplies.  You might find some of the older HP PCs using a 20 pin ATX connector.

It takes a while for standards to shake out.  While using a standardized ATX power supply may save on costs it might not meet the requirements for a particular need hence the need for a special model. Sequencing up power for peripherals is a case that I have seen in the past that has required a specialized power supply.  Another situation might be with a small form factor cabinet where a typical power supply would not fit.

I have seen power supplies that are interchangeable between Dell and HP.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

The original PSU in my machine was a Model DPS300AB-73A Part no. 667893-001, 300W, Delta Electronic.
It has standard pinout and is ATX.

I replaced it with an Antec VP450.  This unit has the split motherboard connector, i.e. 20-pin, with a separate 4-pin extension.  It is ATX; fits right into the HP case, and the screw holes line up!

HP Recommended

keepplugging,

Strange your answering your own questions. Stranger is the link you supplied is invalid, unless you edit-out the ":"

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.