cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Marigami
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 37
Flag Post

HP w2408h monitor volume window pops up unexpectedly

HP Recommended
I have the HP w2408h monitor and don't use its speakers. After 1 1/2 years with no problems, the volume window from the monitor's menu has started popping up at random times, several times an hour. Since the window is from the monitor, there is no way to move it or close it. It disappears by itself eventually - sometimes after about 30 seconds, but often it's longer than a minute. The monitor's buttons don't respond when I try to get rid of this window, nor does the monitor's on/off button. If that window isn't showing, I can press the monitor's buttons, however, the minus (-) button does not move down the menus, I have to use the plus (+) button to go through the menus in reverse. Curiously, the (-) button is also labelled with the speaker icon.
0 Kudos
36 REPLIES 36
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,590 24,242 2,827 10,346
Message 2 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Marigami, it sounds like it may be time to uninstall and reinstall the software for the monitor.  Updating the drivers may also help.  Sometimes glitches will happen over time.  The only way to correct the problem is to do a reinstall.

The accepted theory is that a clean install of all software, including the OS, should be done at a minimum of once per year.  I don't do it until I begin having problems like the one that you are experiencing.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
andrews144
Level 1
6 5 0 3
Message 3 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This started happening to me as well. It is interesting that this started for me within the same day or so of it happening for you. I'm wondering if it has something to do with a software update. I'm running Windows Vista. I am not using the speakers that are part of the monitor - I've installed external speakers instead. Personally I do NOT subsribe to the "you should reinstall your entire operating system once a year" theory - imo that's way too much work for the average user. However, that we both started getting the error within days of eachother might not be a coincidence. I'm going to try using Windows System Restore to roll back to the most recent restore point. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'd be interested to hear if others are having the same problem.

0 Kudos
Raspago
Level 2
15 12 0 4
Message 4 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'd be interested to hear if others are having the same problem.

.- MANY others (including Me) have the exact same problem, Just dig a little bit more in this forum.

There is no fix or solution yet for what it seems to be a VERY common problem.

No response from HP either

Message Edited by Raspago on 10-17-2009 02:08 PM
0 Kudos
Marigami
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

By Friday (5 days after it started), the monitor volume window started popping up so frequently that I had to call tech support. I had already tried reinstalling the driver, rolling back the system a few days, resetting the monitor, etc. Fortunately, I have another computer with the same monitor and when I swapped it out, the problem went away, so I knew it was a hardware problem. HP is sending a new monitor. I bought this setup from Costco and their consierge tech support service is really efficient.

I probably hadn't touched the buttons on the monitor in over a year, so the button-not-reponding problem certainly didn't happen from wearing the part down.

0 Kudos
Raspago
Level 2
15 12 0 4
Message 6 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

.- Excellent "solution":

"get a new monitor".

Wow, I'm speechless....:smileysurprised:

What's really amazes me is HP flag it as "SOLVED"!!!!!!

What about a solution for the out-of-warranty guys like me (and many others)?

Message Edited by Raspago on 10-19-2009 09:00 PM
0 Kudos
Marigami
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Raspago wrote:

.- Excellent "solution":

"get a new monitor".

Wow, I'm speechless....:smileysurprised:

What's really amazes me is HP flag it as "SOLVED"!!!!!!

What about a solution for the out-of-warranty guys like me (and many others)?

Message Edited by Raspago on 10-19-2009 09:00 PM

I posted the solution that it was a hardware problem so that people wouldn't waste days like I did trying to find a software solution (uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, rolling back system, etc.).

0 Kudos
Raspago
Level 2
15 12 0 4
Message 8 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I posted the solution that it was a hardware problem

.- How can a "PROBLEM" be a "SOLUTION"?

I KNOW it's a hardware problem from "day zero", that doesn't solve anything nor help me in any way.

I still have the PROBLEM!.

Anyway, I wasn't mocking you, Marigami, you are a consumer, a "victim".

Fortunately you had the choice to get your Monitor replaced.

Is up to HP to find solutions, not you.

0 Kudos
tyryearth
3 3 0 0
Message 9 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I just started having the same issue. My monitor is the HPw1907. The volume screen appears every two seconds (if I keep pressing the 'menu' button to close it over and over). Last night I noticed that the monitor was flickering with the 'auto-adjustment' screen while it was asleep. This morning the volume issue occurred. I'm willing to try to OS reinstall but I can't tell from the posts if it works. My monitor is out of warranty as well. 
0 Kudos
andrews144
Level 1
6 5 0 3
Message 10 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@tyryearth wrote:
...I'm willing to try to OS reinstall but I can't tell from the posts if it works.... 

There is absolutely no indication that this is an O/S related issue. I personally have done a roll-back to before I started encountering the issue and am still having the problem. So:

Same monitor

rolled back any system changes to state before the problem started

problem remains

= good indication that it's not the O/S

Another person posted saying that they had their monitor replaced (with no indication that they made any changes on the OS side), and that resolved the problem. So:

One computer with no O/S changes

replacing the monitor resolved the problem

= even better indication that it's not the O/S, it's a problem with the monitor

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation