cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
gogogasgas
Level 1
14 13 0 0
Message 1 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HPE h9-1120a Phoenix - water cooling + GPU upgrade potential

I am not sure if the (Australian version) HPE h9-1120a is confirgured with water cooling. Does any one know? Also, I was thinking of upgrading the GPU from its Ge Force GTX 580 to a GeForce GTX 680 (or perhaps even the Titan). Is this machine capable of getting the most of these high-end graphics cards? The power supply is a 600watt unit, though it does'nt say how much power is actually available at the rails - it might be pretty gutless under load, but I just don't know. Is the motherboard any good? Here are the specs:

H9-1120a Australian Specs

The build-your-own PC brigade are quite scathing regarding these pre-built HPs. However, from the specs, they look like pretty decent machines and worthwhile upgrading. Any pearls of wisdom appreciated.

0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
Sollist
Level 4
103 103 11 36
Message 2 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I can personally say that I have the US version of this setup with the i7-3770 and a GTX 670 (which I put in there myself). I can at least say with this setup that it will be quite some time before I cannot keep up with the newest games 🙂 From a personal standpoint I can say that I am quite pleased with the performance and that it should handle future upgrades just fine.

I can also confirm that all version of this model come with closed-loop cooling. :OpenSmile:

I work for HP. - Consumer Notebook and Desktop Expert

Please click the white "Kudos" star to say thanks.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if you found my response helpful.
gogogasgas
Level 1
14 13 0 0
Message 3 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks! Another question; I know that this machine is set up with an eye towards gamers, but how do you think it would fare for video editing? Also, if upgrade-itis was to take a hold, would it handle and be able to make full use of a 6 core i-7 processor?

0 Kudos
Sollist
Level 4
103 103 11 36
Message 4 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Intense video editing programs (Vegas, Premier) rarely use more CPU/GPU resources than modern PC games. GTX Models going back to the GTX 460 will handle Premiere (as well as intel models going back to the i7 930). You will find that with the specs you've linked above you should be more than set for most video editing programs. The i7-3770 that comes with the h9s is an eight-core cpu and should be great for any intense rendering you may need to do. Just couple that with 12+GB RAM and you shouldn't have any worries! 🙂 

gogogasgas
Level 1
14 13 0 0
Message 5 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks again. Looking longer term, apart from the afore mentioned upgrade to the GPU and your tip on the ram, is there anything else on the Phoenix that I might consider upgrading down-the-track?

0 Kudos
Sollist
Level 4
103 103 11 36
Message 6 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

If you're just looking to upgrade to improve performance then it seems we've covered all of the bases. There are minor improvements you could make (i.e. better intake/exhaust fans, SSD) but while those upgrades would certainly be available, I doubt they will be needed. I hope this covers all your questions. I totally understand that you want to gather all the info possible before diving into this purchase but if you're looking for a "future-proof" gaming PC, I'm sure you will be quite pleased with the HPE h9 Pheonix 🙂

gogogasgas
Level 1
14 13 0 0
Message 7 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Terrific, thanks!

0 Kudos
gogogasgas
Level 1
14 13 0 0
Message 8 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I just remembered another thing, will I be able to run three HP 23" IPS screens successfully if I upgrade the card to the GTX680? And, do I loose screen resolution in comparison to running one screen?

0 Kudos
Sollist
Level 4
103 103 11 36
Message 9 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

According to the info found when I used the configuration tool HERE you will be able to get a 3-monitor surround setup with the GTX680 with a max resolution of 7600x1600 and it won't choke your dpi below 1080. (You're making me jealous talking about a 3-IPS setup 😛 )

0 Kudos
gogogasgas
Level 1
14 13 0 0
Message 10 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for the link -  So you are saying that the Phoenix motherboard meets the SLI (?) requirements of the GTX680? (I am looking at the 4GB version of the GTX680) Specs of the HP Formosa motherboard  here.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation