Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HPZR2740W monitor displays garbled pixels left of center about 200 pixels wide

HP Recommended
HP ZR2740W Monitor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The monitor displays garbled pixels in a vertical column about 200 pixels wide down the whole height of the screen just left of center.

It comes and goes but mostly it is getting worse. The desktop computer it is attached to is new but the previous computer had the same problem. The warranty just expired in August and I want to know where I can get it fixed or is it something I have to fix myself? I am not a service technician but it looks to me like there is something loose. Sometimes, if I press on the monitor it starts working properly. Once I even banged the monitor and it started to display properly.

I do a lot of video editing which is partly the reason I purchased the monitor because it has a high resolution. It would be expensive to replace. I can't seem to find any authorized repair center. The place a bought it from (London Drugs computer department) says they don't handle repairs but since it is out of warranty they won't handle it.

I'm getting frustrated because I can't actually seem to contact anyone at HP. There are no phone numbers anywhere on the HP Support Center.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,460 23,401 2,157 5,089
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PaulVancouver

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Given that the monitor faults the same with different PCs, that seems to indicate that the monitor is failing.

And, getting it fixed OUTSIDE of warranty repair is likely to cost more than replacing it.  I know because I had a high-end Dell monitor start to go a few years ago, and the price to repair it was much more than replacing it.

This is the only number I have for HP help: 1 (800) 474-6836

If that doesn't work well for you, perhaps they can give you a number closer to home.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply WAWood.

That's the unfortunate thing that a repair may cost more than a replacement.

After looking at YouTube videos about repairing LCD monitors, it sounds like the most likely problem is that the ribbon cable is not properly seated. That seems to fit my experience that if I press the monitor at the top of the garbled vertical bar that it either fixes the problem temporarily or it makes it worse. Some videos suggest the ribbon cable connections can be affected by changes in temperature and that the problem is quite common with LCD monitors.

Right now, the monitor is again functioning properly and I've set up my TV screen as a dual monitor. If the problem occurs again, I think I will try to dissassemble the monitor and reseat the ribbon cable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,460 23,401 2,157 5,089
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In my case, the repair cost was $250 (for a four year old monitor), and a new one, with higher resolution, and better color performance was only $175.

But ... that's how it seems to go nowadays with computer stuff in general ...

Glad you found what appears to be the source of the problem.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation