cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Zarelha
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Hamar Motherboard upgrad PSU

HP Recommended
HP 510-p030 Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade my HP 510-p030 Pavilion's graphics card.  It has an i7 processor.  The motherboard is a "Hamar" uATX. Here's the link: http://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c05066299

This computer comes with a 180w Power supply and built-in graphics card (only info on what type is Intel HD Graphics 530) 

It has one PCI-E (GEN 3) x16 socket expansion slot.

I would like to upgrade the graphics card as I do some video editing and it seems to be hanging too often. On my last Pavilion (an i3), changing the graphics card made a huge difference.

The card I would like to get is a PNY GeForce GT 730 2GB DDR3 Graphics Card (VCGGT7302D3LXPB) (Low profile). Is this better than the built-in one?

It needs a 400w+ power supply.

I bought a Corsair CX450M 450 watt, 80+ bronze power supply.

Can I upgrade the Power Supply without harming the motherboard? And if so, I assume the Graphics card will work as well.

Any help greatly appreciated, as all I'm getting from HP tech support is that "they are not trained to discuss upgrades."

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,590 24,242 2,827 10,347
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Zarelha, welcome to the forum.

Both the power supply unit (PSU) and the video card should work fine.  The PSU will only provide the amount of power that is necessary to run the computer properly.  The remainder will be used for peak times.  The video slot on the computer PCI Express 3.0 x16.  The video card is PCI Express 2.0 x16.  The card will work, but won't provide the performance that would be possible if it were PCIe 3.0.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation