cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Rainy0 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hangs on HP logo for a long time when starting up, and takes a long time to shut down.

HP Envy 700-229c
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Starting a few days ago, my computer suddenly started to take forever to start up and shut down. It gets stuck on the HP logo and the little spinny icon. I counted 70 spins before it finally loaded into Windows. Once it gets to Windows, it loads really fast. It also takes a few minutes (instead of less than a minute, before) for the computer to shut down once I press "Shut Down". The screen and everything is off, but the computer continues to stay on for a couple more minutes.

The problem started about a week ago and since then, I've done a reset, but the problem remains. It doesn't seem to be affecting anything when I'm using the computer, but it's annoying to have to press the On button and walk away for a while before it loads up.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? Thank!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Retired
7771 6909 449 841
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hangs on HP logo for a long time when starting up, and takes a long time to shut down.

Hi there @Rainy0,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I understand that your computer is slow starting up and shutting down, both otherwise seems to function fine.  I am happy to help with this.

The likely cause of the slowdown in each case is that over time more software is being loaded on startup and then needing to be closed on shutdown. It may be software you have installed yourself or it could be something like spyware, adware or even malware related apps inadvertently installed while on the internet. You can try the following two pages to fine tune your system startup. The second one is more related to malicious software related causes, but it is worth using as well, especially if you see no change after using the first one.  HP PCs - Resolving slow system performance (Windows 😎  HP PCs - Slow Internet Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Rainy0 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Malygris,

Thanks for the suggestions, but neither of those apply to me because the problem persisted even after I did a complete full reset of the computer (reinstalled Windows, removed all files).

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
7771 6909 449 841
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the clarified information. In that case I would suggest you do a full set of hardware diagnostics and see if there are any errors or issues indicated.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation