Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 4 (433 Views)

Hard Drive Knocking Noise

Product Name: P6-2117C
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavillion P6-2117c system with windows 7 (64bit). It's about 3 years old and recently I've noticed a series of  knocking sound (a second difference between the sound) from the harddrive(I suspect) once in awhile. If it happens, I can't click on the screen(Internet Explorer 11) even though I can move around my cursor. I end up with switching off the system and wait for 10 minutes and turning it back on. Then it's ok most of the time. I ran CHKDSK, but there was no error message.

What is wrong with my PC? Should I replace the harddrive anyway?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Message 2 of 4 (425 Views)

Re: Hard Drive Knocking Noise

Hi linkbeater,

If you are hearing a knocking sound it could be the first sign of a mechanical problem with the hard drive. Make sure you have backed up all of your data. Also look inside your PC to see if it isn't something like a cooling fan on either the processor or graphics card, there could be something rubbing or knocking agains the fan. At any rate you will want to run some diagnostics to determine if the hard drive is failing.  Check out this document and look under the section under BIOS Diagnostic Tests. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6-2100-Desktop-PC-series/5187028/model/5192550/docu...

Chkdsk can tell you if windows is finding any errors on your disk but it won't tell you if the hard drive needs to be replaced.  You say the PC is 3 years old this could be a good opportunity to upgrade to a larger hard drive or even a solid state hard drive assuming everything else is still good on the PC and you want to keep using it for a while.

Hope this helps

I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Message 3 of 4 (419 Views)

DoinTFN,

Thanks for your advice. How do I know that I'm buying a right kind hard drive? Does it come with an instruction to create partitions etc? Do I need to do something in order for me to install the same windows on a different drive, or will my backup take care of it?

Thank you again in advance.
Teacher
Message 4 of 4 (395 Views)

Hi Linkbeater,

Your PC takes a standard SATA hard drive according to the specs on HP.Com.   You shouldn't need to do anything to prepare the drive for use like formatting it and creating partitions.  Windows 7 makes it pretty easy to create partitions on your hard drive on the unused space of the drive after you have installed the operating system.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6-Desktop-PC-series/5187028/model/5192550/document/...

This type of hard drive is widely available from many different retailers.  If you want to go with a solid state drive it will use the same cabling that your SATA drive uses.   Also I would strongly recommend you backup all of your data as soon as possbile and then either create a set of recovery disks for your PC or order them from HP.  Here is the document that talks about the process of recovering the operating system when you have replaced the hard drive.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6-Desktop-PC-series/5187028/model/5192550/document/...

There is a lot of information on backing up your data as well as upgrading your hard drive that you will find helpful on the product page for your PC at this link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6-2100-Desktop-PC-series/5187028/model/5192550/how-...

Good Luck

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation