cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mkwrrnrose Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Drive long DST failed

Pavilion 23 All in One

My out of warranty Pavilion All-in-One Desktop computer took about twenty tries before starting. I ran HP Self test and came up with"Hard Drive long DST Failed"  Failure ID RGD5VO-000840-PXPAXF-61SG03.  i haven't seen this code in any other posts.  This is a Windows 8.1 computer.  I'm wondering if an upgrade to Windows 10 might repair the Hard Drive.  I did defrag the Hard drive which was 12% fragmented.  It didn;t seem to optimize automatically, so I did the defrag manually.  Haven't turned the computer off since. Not sure it will reboot if I do.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Teacher
Teacher
152 147 6 11
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The hard drive fail code means your hard drive has failed or is damaged changing the operating system won't fix this you need to buy a new hard drive and replace it.

James

0 Kudos
mkwrrnrose Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your feedback. What is the most likely reason for a HD failure?
0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
152 147 6 11
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There's quiet a few to be honest 😀

These things just tend to happen and are very rarely anything you can prevent

James
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mkwrrnrose Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thnaks for your response.

In all the years that I've run comouter labs ,with IBM's and Dell's, I've never experienced the issues I've had with HP's in my home.

I've had to dispose of seven HP printers, two laptops,  and now this is my third desktop. Every one of them just after the warranty or extended warrenty ran out.

The next computer just might be a Dell or an Apple product.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
152 147 6 11
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Oh dear that is quiet bad luck I must admit. I'm sorry to hear that.

James
0 Kudos
mkwrrnrose Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Luck has nothing to do with it.  It's all about quality!

Yesterday, while researching whether I should replace the hard drive or invest in [or build] a new computer, I discovered that our local Office Depot amd Staples stores [admitted] that numerous HP [demo] products have been returned to HP because of failure.  Of course they were all withing the one year HP warrranty period.

Oh, I forgot.  This is not my third HP desktop that failedl, it's the fourth.  I  forgot about the one I brought home and returned to the store, the same day,  because it didn;t have the mouse or keyboard drivers installed.

Michael

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation