cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
redshore
Level 4
103 89 5 20
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Drive question

HP Envy 700-329
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My HP came with a Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD, it works fine but is a little slow for video editing etc & I want to upgrade to a faster HDD. The Model that came with it is WD10EZEX Sata 6 Gb/s, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache .

I want to upgrade to a 2TB Western Digital Black SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB Buffer, 7200 RPM - WD2003FZEX-RTL 

Will my system accept this? I have already upgraded the power supply, video card and added a Sound Blaster Z sound card without problems.

The plan is to remove the original HDD and store outside of the pc & install the 2TB drive as the Primary and only HDD in the system.

I use an imaging program and do weekly full system images of the entire pc just in case.

Thanks in advance.

redstone

Using pc's since 82. First pc bought 1988. Every day I'm still learning new things about computing.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Mighty_Miro_WD
Level 6
215 215 29 68
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Drive question

Hi there.

Yes, your computer will work with the Black drive.

As for making it your boot drive, you can either make a fresh installation of Windows, or clone your current OS. For the second option you can use Acronis True Image WD Edition if you want and download it from here:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=osroUb

And here's an article from our KB with the steps how to do it:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3682/~/how-to-manually-clone-a-disk-with-acronis-tru...

Hope this helps.

Cheers! 🙂

Official WD Representative.
Please, Kudo me and choose as Answer if this post helped you! 🙂

redshore
Level 4
103 89 5 20
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Drive question

Thanks very much for your reply, much appreciated!

Using pc's since 82. First pc bought 1988. Every day I'm still learning new things about computing.
0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
10,193 10,029 1,366 3,741
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Drive question

Hope your still around !!!!

Almost any of the standard hard drives (with platters) have variations in performance under stress.  That range can be graphed, and performance levels examined.  The sourced link will list drives from Seagate and WD.

The Wd2003FZEX has a poor rating.  It's relative score is 22.

The range of scores (best-worst) for the WD Black 2TB (2013) is 73.9%. This is a particularly wide range which indicates that the WD Black 2TB (2013) performs inconsistently under varying real world conditions

Your original drive, the WD10EZEX does almost as bad, but it's relative score is 15.

The range of scores (best-worst) for the WD Blue 1TB (2012) is 132%. This is a particularly wide range which indicates that the WD Blue 1TB (2012) performs inconsistently under varying real world conditions.

Source:  hdd.benchmark

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
redshore
Level 4
103 89 5 20
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Drive question

Interesting, so is there a drive that is the same size as the WD Black (2tb) that would be worth the upgrade other than SSD?

After looking at the charts, there doesn't seem to be anything in the 2TB 3.5" class that would make much difference overall.  WD doesn't seem to have a 2TB Blue version of the drive that came with this HP pc.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to purchase before I know I'm making the right choice.

This may help.

I do a lot of video editing & am always working with a camera.

I use Adobe Lightroom, OnOne Perfect effects and a couple of other programs for photography.

So my needs are a larger, faster and dependable HDD.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
10,193 10,029 1,366 3,741
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Drive question

I am glad you read my reply.  The data specs "speak volumes" about the various platter specific drives. I am not a pushing you to any SSD.  I use a SanDisk Extreme USB3.0 thumbdrive for data transfer between units. It is actually faster than my internal or external ESata ST1000DM003 drives.  And by the data sheet, the ST1000DM003 is rated better, and it was an "8".  I get variation from 26-171Mb/sec from the hard drive using HDTune as the test program.  The SanDisk is stable from 172-175MB/sec.  It's those drops in platter performance your suffering.

Again, I am not pushing Seagate, but it is a better performance than the 2 WD's, as mentioned.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation