Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 4 (195 Views)

Hard disk allocation after failed bios update

Product Name: HP ENVY Desktop - 750-170se
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After Bios update failed my hard disk looks like below

Is it possible to combine 8 mb unallocated,980 mb and HP_tools to combine with C?hard disk allocation

0 Kudos
Teacher
Message 2 of 4 (163 Views)

Re: Hard disk allocation after failed bios update

Hello Nirvick,

Having these 8 Gigs called HP_TOOLS /meaning partition Z/ between the unallocated space and the C partition will not allow you to merge the way you want it, I'm sorry. These 980 MB which is a recovery partition are not meant to be altered, because you will lose your operating system's stability and it may become unable to recover if anything happens. My advice is, if you have all your files backuped on another location, to do a full format of the drive and to install the OS on it from scratch.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Western Digital representative
Top Student
Message 3 of 4 (153 Views)

Is it possible to format just SSD not SATA HDD?

Teacher
Message 4 of 4 (126 Views)

Hi again,

Well, if they are separate devices connected to the motherboard of your laptop, yes. Make sure you have all the backups of your data on a different storage device. The easiest way to do formatting and reinstall is through a CD/DVD or a USB instalation medium. If you haven't got one, you could a bootable device /like a USB/ on your PC prior to the beginning of the process. You have to chose very carefully the drive you would like to install na operating system to, because, otherwise you could format the HDD and therefore lose all the information on it.

Cheers.

Western Digital representative
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation