cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
pattytig
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard drive crashed. Need to restore files from Recovery partition but I do not know best way

HPE-367c
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When I go to system recovery, it says  that a backup was never installed however drive D is where my files are.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Level 12
11,043 11,017 576 1,646
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard drive crashed. Need to restore files from Recovery partition but I do not know best way

If your files are on 'D:', they are on 'D:', and there is no need to "recover" those files.

0 Kudos
pattytig
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Whenn I go to Drive D, it has a folder named recovery.  When I click on this I get a message not to do anything with these files.  I can't seem to access whatever is in there!  Please help!

0 Kudos
Level 12
11,043 11,017 576 1,646
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> When I go to Drive D, it has a folder named recovery.  

These files/folders can be used to reload the Operating System -- *NOT* your "data" files (documents/pictures/music/bookmarks/E-mail).

BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE.

Take the backup to another computer, to confirm that the backup is readable.

Turn the computer off.

Turn the computer on, and look for a message like "press <blah> to enter System Recovery".

Press that <blah> key.

Your motherboard will boot from the files on that 'D:' drive, and will reinstall Windows.

After, reload your files from your backup.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation