Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p62378
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

The 1 Terabyte hard drive in my HP Pavilion failed completely. Because the windows key is located in the UEFI bios it appears I have to use the original recovery image.  I contacted HP and they supplied the image which I loaded onto a 32 GB  usb drive (image size=18 GB).  My new drive is an 240 GB ssd.  Although the new drive is larger than the image itself, the recovery fails due to the new drive being physically smaller then the old one.  Any ideas on what I can do at this point would be appreciated ?

case # [personal information removed]

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@JohnL66

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

> Any ideas on what I can do at this point would be appreciated.

Buy a SEAGATE (or a WESTERN DIGITAL) 1TB disk-drive.

Download "disk-cloning" software from the SEAGATE (if you bought from SEAGATE) web-site.

Download "disk-cloning" software from the W.D. (if you bought from W.D.) web-site.

Install Windows onto the 1TB disk-drive.

Install the disk-cloning software onto the 1TB disk-drive.

Connect the SSD as a "slave" disk-drive.

Run the disk-cloning software, from the 1TB "source" to the SSD "target".

The software will automatically "resize" the partitions on the 1TB, during the copy, to fit onto the SSD.

Disconnect the 1TB disk-drive.

Boot from the SSD.

QED

HP Recommended

To Msklassen

Yes, your idea would definitely work but then I would have the 1 terabyte left over.  I do not download games, music or movies so anything storage amount over 200 GB is virtually wasted.

HP Recommended

> then I would have the 1 terabyte left over.  

Yes, but you now have Windows installed onto your SSD, and you can "re-purpose" the disk-drive -- purchase an "empty" 3.5-inch external closure, for about $14 CDN.

See: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/coolmax-3-5-sata-usb-2-0-external-enclosure/10622458.aspx?

Mount the disk-drive inside the enclosure, and you now have a good "backup" drive, that will hold 4 or 5 "weekly" backups.

> I do not download games, music or movies so anything storage amount over 200 GB is virtually wasted.

One can never have "one too many" backups of one's personal files.  :generic:

HP Recommended

Thank you for your advice.  Discovered something. While a Windows 8 disk is rejected, a Windows 8.1 image which is of course a newer version of the operating system than the one originally on the hard drive was NOT rejected and I loaded it on the SSD. This also had the advantage of not having a uselss recovery partition. If I can just find drivers for everything I will be good to go.

HP Recommended

Your Support page has drivers. More for Win 8 than Win 8.1 but all should work.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-p6-2300-desktop-pc-series/5295969/model...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.