Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Hard drive failure, no backup DVD disk

HP Recommended
touchscreen 27K127c
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

So, my dads just over 2 year old HP 27K127c touchscreen decktop fied last week. It threw a code that wanted to do a HD defrag and optimize and part way through it just dies. Now it won't boot and just stops with a black screen and a curser flashing.

I assume the HD failed.

It came with a 1TB SATA hard drive and a 16gb SSD.

Again, I'm assuming that the Windows 8 op system was on the HD and not the SSD. So if I replace the HD with a similar unit, how to I reinstall windows without the backup disk?

Also, I was all ready to do an update to Win 10. Can I just update to Win 10 directly, or do I have to do Win 8.1 first?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 7
975 963 31 106
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Since you are talking about replacing a hard drive, and the device is not yours, then I assume you can try the unit with only 1 drive in it, and the other possibly removed and piggy backed to your own?

If 1 drive is deemed faulty, then the other should work.  It will be interesting to see if it will boot on its own.

Win 10 needs to done via an upgrade to qualify for an activation key, so a direct install is not gonna do it, DOH!

This however contradicts me...

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-fi...

BUT you need a working system, and if there is sufficient detail on the one good drive you could be in with a chance.

So please consider your course of action, and the people here will, I'm sure, help as needed.

If in doubt please ask.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation