Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
caltroon Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Help locating hard drive position on motherboard

Pavilion a744x
Microsoft Windows XP

I'm hoping someone can help with a question about an old computer.  We have an HP a744x with an Asus A7N8X-LA motherboard.  I took the hard drive out to put it in an enclosure and look at it on my computer and then went to put it back and could not remember how it went in.  It's a SATA drive.  Can someone direct me to a picture or give me a precise description of how it screws back in.  I have the four screws I took out of it.   It was not in a drive bay.

If you have a photograph or know of a link that will show me the inside of that computer (or possibly any 700 series picture will help) I would very much appreciate it.

2 REPLIES
Dean
Dean
11043 572 1592
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hint:  if the "data" cable is still attached to the motherboard, it has a "memory" of how its been, for several years, bent and kinked to reach where the disk-drive previously was mounted.  So, its "habitual" position gives you a clue as to where the disk-drive used to be.

Of course, you have the freedom to mount the disk-drive anywhere that there is a 3.5-inch wide "drive-bay", as long as the "power" and "data" cables are long-enough to reach that location.

> I have the 4 screws.

The disk-drive has 2 screw-holes on one side, and 2 matching screw-holes on the other side.

Also, if you look at the "bottom" (the visible circuit-board), you should see 4 more screw-holes -- one near each corner.

So, if the drive does not fit into a "drive-bay", look for a plate with 4 matching holes.

Put a screw through the plate, and into one of the "bottom" holes on the disk-drive.

0 Kudos
caltroon Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  I laughed when I read about the kink in the cord because I had replaced the cord because it had a strange angled plug at the end.  Now of course I realize it needed that angled plug because of the tight space.  I was finally able to find a picture of someone's same computer with the side off and it was so simple I'm kicking myself.  I usually note when I take something out where it goes back, but this goes straight up and down against the side and I've never seen that before.

Thank you for taking the trouble to help.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation