cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bigdogone Top Student
Top Student
8 5 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Homegroup issue! I cannot change the password or leave the group. Troubleshooter cannot fix the prob

I did a clean install of OS win7 ultimate. If I try to change the PW, it says that windows cannot set up a homegroup on this computer....but yet it says that this computer belongs to a homegroup. If I try to leave the homegroup, it says that windows couldn't remove the computer from the group. Troubleshooting says that either the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service or the Peer Networking Identity Manager are not running. If I go into services, it shows that the PNIM is automatic and the PNRP is manual. If I try to start the PNRP, it says that windows could not start the service due to error code# 0x80630801. Peer Networking Grouping also gets error code# 1068.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Provost
Provost
49520 49492 9892 16560
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Homegroup issue! I cannot change the password or leave the group. Troubleshooter cannot fix the prob

Hi,

From the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and open Folder Options.  Click the View tab, fill in the radio button titled 'Show hidden files folders and Drives' and take the tick out of the box next to 'Hide extensions of known file types'.  Click apply to make these changes.

Next, browse to Local Disk C\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming and open the PeerNetworking folder.  Inside you should see a file titled idstore.sst.  Delete this file.  Close this window and then go back to Folder Options and re-hide Hidden files folders and Drives and extensions of known file types.

Restart the PC and let Windows fully load.

Now check whether the following services appear as shown below and if they aren't, whether you can now set them.

Peer Networking Grouping      This should show start up type as manual and the service should show as started.

HomeGroup Provider                This should show start up type as manual and the service should show as started.

Peer Name Resolution Protocol        This should show start up type as manual and the service should show as started.

Peer Networking Identity Manager     This should show start up type as manual and the service should show as started.

If they are all able to be started, or are already started, see if Homegroup now functions properly.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

bigdogone Top Student
Top Student
8 5 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks DP-K! One quick question....why is that idstore file even there if for nothing but to cause problems? What function could it have? Okay, two quick questions. Thanks, bigdogone
0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
49520 49492 9892 16560
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

The problem occurs when the data in this file has corrupted as it stores the information concerning your Homegroup.  The file will actually have already been re-created again.

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

lost00 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@DavidPk sir i tried your conclusion and it worked, but i have another problem when i tried to type the password into the other computer it says windows cannot setup knowing that the password is correct. help please Y.Y

0 Kudos
Windowstricks Top Student
Top Student
5 5 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

check this to get the password and how to join your desktop to homegroup

http://www.windowstricks.in/2015/11/windows-10-homegroup-problems-and-solution-how-to-get-the-passwo...

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation