cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
parminides Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How can I get Windows 10 installation/recovery media from HP?

Pavilion 510-p030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a HP Pavilion Desktop (510-p030) in December and set it up on Dec 20. On Dec 24 it quit booting!

It was on and running correctly when I left the house, but it had a dark gray screen when I returned. If I try to boot now, I briefly see spinning dots and the HP logo. It cycles though spinning dots/HP logo to dark gray screen to spinning dots, etc. It never gets to loading Windows. It won't boot to a usb drive either. (This is really worrisome.)

Unfortunately, I hadn't gotten around to making backup storage and recovery media. The last computer I bought had Windows 8 at a time that Microsoft didn't allow backup media! I thought the recovery partition would suffice in the short run.

I've done many tests from the recovery tools (F11) and HP diagnostics (F2) available on the hard drive. These include a System Recovery. All tests or procedures either fail or pass without fixing the problem.

Perhaps the most pertinent procedure is this one:

Press power button -> F11 -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Startup Settings -> Restart -> F10 (for more options) -> 1 (to launch recovery environment).

The subsequent error messages include the following:

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. An unexpected error has occurred. You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."

How can I get installation media from HP? Is there a phone number I can call or an email address I can send a request to? I suspect that won't work either since the computer won't boot from the usb drive now, but it's the next step.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Provost Provost
Provost
102,712 96,789 15,002 23,104
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can order recovery media for your PC at the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/HP-Pavilion-510-p000-Desktop-PC-series/10734566/model/1171577...

I'm pretty sure you need to boot from a USB 2 port.

The PC won't boot from a USB 3 port.

parminides Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply. There are 2 usb ports in the front of the computer. I know I was able to boot from one of them before the computer broke. I took notes about what I had to do in bios to disable secure boot and enable legacy support:

F10 (at beginning of boot up) -> Storage -> Boot Order -> UEFI Boot Sources -> USB Hard Drive (move to top) -> F10 -> Security -> Secure Boot Configuration -> F10 -> Secure Boot -> Disable -> Legacy Support -> Enable -> F10 -> [save changes and exit]

I repeated those steps after the computer broke, but it simply won't boot to usb anymore. I tried it from both usb ports. It leads me to think that recovery media will be useless for whatever problem it has.

I know that it would have been wise to have created my own backup/recovery discs or usb drives immediately. Nonetheless, it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth to think that I might have to pay about $50 for backup/recovery media for a computer that broke catastrophically on its 4th day of use! I've spent an ungodly amount of time trying to fix a brand new $1000 computer (counting monitor) that broke on the fourth day! To be honest, I think I'd rather just return the computer for a full refund and start with another brand than throw more money at this machine. I seriously doubt that I'll be able to boot to recovery media anyway.

As I stated in my original message, the previous computer I bought had Windows 8 at a time where Microsoft did not even allow users to back up their systems. So it didn't exactly seem urgent to me to create recovery media when I knew that the recovery partition was there.

Do you know if there is some reason why the tools in the recovery partition don't allow me to create external recovery media?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know why the PC won't boot from a USB flash drive if it had done so previously.

I would return the PC if you still can, because I agree that if you buy the recovery media and get a USB flash drive, then it isn't going to boot from it either.

I wouldn't know why you can't create recovery media from the tools in the recovery partition.

I have only created recovery media from within Windows by using the recovery manager software.

parminides Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First of all, I apologize for being so grumpy. It's very frustrating to have the computer break so soon. But I do appreciate your taking the time to reply. Happy New Year! I tried some more stuff this morning before I saw your latest reply.

I discovered the F9 key, which lets me explicitly pick which device to boot to. Using F9, I have been able to *begin* to boot to both usb and dvd. (I have some Linux live media that allow running from the dvd/usb without installing Linux.)

In both cases, it *starts* to boot (i.e., I see the initial screen). But then the boot stalls with the same dark gray screen I get when I try to boot to Windows 10!

Disabling fast boot doesn't change things. In fact, I've attempted these boots with the various combinations of secure boot/legacy support/fast boot enabled/disabled. Nothing works.

I was able to successfully boot to usb before the computer broke. (Note: I did not install Linux or change the partitions in any way when I booted to usb.)

I don't think I have a Windows problem. I probably have some sort of hardware issue. Booting to three different media (hard drive, dvd, and usb) does the same thing: boot stalls with a dark gray screen.

I don't have any good reason to believe that booting to Windows recovery media will behave any differently or fix the problem.

How do I contact a human being at HP to discuss how to proceed? I have had trouble finding a phone number for HP support. Should I just take the computer back to where I bought it?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No problem.

I understand your frustration. 

I would be upset if my PC was having major issues in less than a few years, let alone less than a week!

Take it back if you can, and exchange it for another one.

Otherwise, HP will be sending you a box to pack it up in and send to them, etc, to repair.

If you can't take it back, here is the toll free number to HP support if you live in the USA/Canada.

You will need to stay on the line to talk to someone.

1 800-474-6836

Happy New Year to you too!

I hope that it will be a great year for you, once you get past this issue.

Highlighted
parminides Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation