cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
anchorwood
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

How can I prevent the mouse from stopping, skipping, jumping?

HP Recommended

My mouse continually stops, skips, or jumps to other parts of the screen when I am trying simply to move it across the screen.  I have seen other people complain about the same phenomenon but nobody seems to have an answer.  Sometimes it's worse than at other times, to the point of hardly being able to accomplish anything on my computer. 

It's not a mouse that needs cleaning; I've tried various mechanical mice, cleaned the rollers inside, tried different mouse pads, etc.  It's independent of the mouse itself and is something inside the computer that is doing this.

I have a Pavilion a6250z.

Windows Vista 32bit

It just seems to get worse as time goes on, I've had the problem for a couple of years at least.  Any help would be appreciated.

Rog

12 REPLIES 12
Beeker318
Level 4
161 160 8 17
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You mentioned that you've tried different mice with the same result. What happens if you try a different surface? For example, if you're using a mouse pad, what happens on just the table surface or vice-versa.

Thanks,

Scott
I am an HP employee
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
anchorwood
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, Scott. 

But as I said, different mouse pads, etc., make no difference.  It's not in the mouse, it's in the computer.

One question I have is, am I supposed to have software for the Synaptics TouchPad?  This seems odd as I bought the computer with a regular wheel mouse and never had a TouchPad.  On the other hand, when I check the mouse settings in the control panel, the Synaptics software says a regular mouse is plugged into the PS2 port and that it's working correctly. 

I keep wondering if the mouse should have a higher priority than some other software that may be taking control of the processor, or some other software should have a lower priority.  I don't really know much about changing this sort of thing, or if I should much around with that.  In any case, one can hardly do much with my computer at times because something is not letting the mouse move correctly.  If that were ever the case with a brand new computer, they would all be returned.

Roger

Hanspuppa
Level 10
4,494 4,281 314 1,466
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

anchorwood wrote: Thanks for the reply, Scott. But as I said, different mouse pads, etc., make no difference.  It's not in the mouse, it's in the computer. One question I have is, am I supposed to have software for the Synaptics TouchPad?  This seems odd as I bought the computer with a regular wheel mouse and never had a TouchPad.  On the other hand, when I check the mouse settings in the control panel, the Synaptics software says a regular mouse is plugged into the PS2 port and that it's working correctly. I keep wondering if the mouse should have a higher priority than some other software that may be taking control of the processor, or some other software should have a lower priority.  I don't really know much about changing this sort of thing, or if I should much around with that.  In any case, one can hardly do much with my computer at times because something is not letting the mouse move correctly.  If that were ever the case with a brand new computer, they would all be returned. Roger

Hello anchorwood, You may want to download and install the drivers for the keyboard and mouse that can be found Here .

This may not resolve the issue but may be worth a try.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

anchorwood
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, thanks for the tip, but it made no difference to download the drivers.  When the install program said it would reboot, the computer hung during shutdown and after 5 minutes I shut it down manually.  When I restarted, the mouse problem was the same as it had been.

Incidently, my computer drivers and software is supposedly up to date according to HP and Microsoft.

Roger

Beeker318
Level 4
161 160 8 17
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hmm, that is kind of a head scratcher. I'm trying to stay away from suggesting a recovery, so let me ask you this- you mentioned cleaning roller bars, so I'm assuming this is an older roller-ball mouse. Have you tried a laser or optical mouse with a USB connection?

Thanks,

Scott
I am an HP employee
anchorwood
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, have not tried a USB optical type mouse.  I wanted to find out what was really causing this (as it wasn't a problem when I bought the computer new from HP the end of 2007) rather than just spending money on new parts.  But I may be willing to do so if you really have a reason to think it might work.

Roger

Hanspuppa
Level 10
4,494 4,281 314 1,466
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello anchorwood, Since you mentioned you purchased the system in 2007, and the issue started to occur about two years ago, I would suggest acquiring a new USB laser mouse. These do not cost that much for just a basic USB laser mouse.

The old ball type mouse usually did not last over a couple of years at best. In those days I replaced many of them that acted exactly as you described your's is acting. I have a box of more than 50 of these ball type mouse devices, that work sometimes, and not work other times.

If you do decide to purchase another mouse,  I would suggest not getting one based on price alone, since some of the lower priced devices may worl for a short period of time, and then stop working, or become erratic, much like yours is now.

Just some thoughts.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,418 1,811 5,053
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you are using a wireless mouse and keyboard then try changing the batteries.

Based on the two threads that you have posted your mouse issue under I would recommend that you backup your data to external media and use the HP recovery disks to bring your PC back to a factory fresh condition.  Then apply the software and bios updates. If the issue continues before you install any other software then the issue is probably hardware.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z590, i7-11700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
Beeker318
Level 4
161 160 8 17
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Spoiler

Yes, I do think there are some valid reasons for trying a USB connection mouse. If the problem continues with different mice, then one constant to your issue is the PS/2 port you are connecting them to. If that port is going bad, your problem will appear regardless of what you plug into it. Trying a USB mouse can potentially isolate the problem to the PS/2 port. If you know anyone who has a USB mouse you can borrow I would suggest that before buying one.

As I mentioned, I hesitate to suggest a recovery because of the potential overhead related to putting back any additional software, data, devices and anything else you've added to the system since you bought it. If that is not an issue for you, then performing a recovery might be a good option. Doing so will effectively eliminate any software issues from the equation.

Thanks,

Scott
I am an HP employee
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation