cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Johnrmclean
4 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

How do HDMI splitters work?

HP Recommended

How do HDMI 1 to 2 splitters work and will it work in this situation?

I have a new HP Envy 700-210 DT desktop  with a Nvidia (OEM) GEForce GT640 graphics card. The on line sales rep said this card with the base  300watt power sulpply could run 4 monitors. The card has  1 each DVI, HDMI and Display ports I am trying to display  4 different programs on 4 different monitors. An  HP service rep is telling me I can do this by using a HDMI 1 to 2 splitter in the HDMI port. (I'm thinking the splitter will just  display the same thing on both monitors) I am skeptical.

Alternatively HP offers a Nvidia (OEM) GEForce GTX 645. The specs on line at Nvidia say it will support 4 monitors but that is ot confirmed in anything I see in the HP specs.  Does anyone have experience with using splitters, these cards or running 4 monitors with their HP desktop?? 

Thanks Much,

2 REPLIES 2
CassieCat07
Level 4
65 65 4 6
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are right - the splitter will send the same image (at the same resolution) to two monitors. HPs 'reps' are never very reliable. 

I don't know about your cards, but the computer would need 4 different video outputs to send a different image to each screen.   

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Johnrmclean
Author
4 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As suspected ....... this has caused me some problems . I hope HP can rectify the poroblem they have created.

Thanks

JOhn

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation