Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Johnrmclean Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How do HDMI splitters work?

How do HDMI 1 to 2 splitters work and will it work in this situation?

I have a new HP Envy 700-210 DT desktop  with a Nvidia (OEM) GEForce GT640 graphics card. The on line sales rep said this card with the base  300watt power sulpply could run 4 monitors. The card has  1 each DVI, HDMI and Display ports I am trying to display  4 different programs on 4 different monitors. An  HP service rep is telling me I can do this by using a HDMI 1 to 2 splitter in the HDMI port. (I'm thinking the splitter will just  display the same thing on both monitors) I am skeptical.

Alternatively HP offers a Nvidia (OEM) GEForce GTX 645. The specs on line at Nvidia say it will support 4 monitors but that is ot confirmed in anything I see in the HP specs.  Does anyone have experience with using splitters, these cards or running 4 monitors with their HP desktop?? 

Thanks Much,

2 REPLIES
Teacher
Teacher
65 4 6
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are right - the splitter will send the same image (at the same resolution) to two monitors. HPs 'reps' are never very reliable. 

I don't know about your cards, but the computer would need 4 different video outputs to send a different image to each screen.   

0 Kudos
Johnrmclean Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As suspected ....... this has caused me some problems . I hope HP can rectify the poroblem they have created.

Thanks

JOhn

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation