Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

If it does work over on XP .. then it is the software setup.  This does not preclude the firmware updates -- nonetheless, it would preclude any hardware failures on the part of the scanner.

But, there is an issue and it may nothing to do with the scanner and more to do with how it was set up.  Your first post mentioned the problem with profiles - this really does not have much to do with factory reset, after all, and more to do with how the scanner is communicating with the software.

One thing you can try is to completely remove the software and start over.  A clean slate, as it were.

It has never been stated; if you are using Windows OS, you can use the following to remove the printer software from the system:

Fixit -- Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled

Reboot the notebook / desktop.. again, it has not been mentioned.  Could be important, too, but we are just skating along here pretending that these are scanner issues. 

Install the driver / software for the printer / scanner.  Perhaps, to be safe, install the software as THAT new user.  This assures that there are not any lingering OS issues.

I do not understand scanner profiles -- I think my meager helpfulness is at an end in this matter.

Perhaps one of our printer Experts will see the Post and come to assist.  I do think this is a matter of configuration.  Yeah, I know -- fat lot of good that does.

Good Luck!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit edition.

HP Recommended

OK I have it in my office hooked to the old XP system that it used to operate on and it works 100% just fine.  I can change the button profiles and use them just fine.  

SO the question here is why won't it work on my brand new HP 8300 with a fresh install of Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit edition?  I have plenty of new systems with an identical setup with the exception being that they are using a revision older driver.  The new one that HP has for download just refuses to let me modify the scanner button profiles.  Is it possible that there is something in the new drivers that sees that this isn't the first computer that the scanner was hooked up to and has locked out that functionality?

The version of drivers that I'm trying to work with is 3.6.1.  It looks like the drivers team has unified the scanner drivers to some extent as now you can select from multiple scanners to install.  Is it possible something in there has borked up some function that once setup in an older driver it can't change in the new version? You see what I'm getting at? Is it possible that the old driver set or closed something on the scanner that the new version can't interpret correctly? 

HP Recommended

Got it working.  First turn off the scanner. I had to remove all the updated software, reboot, run ccleaner and install version 2.7 of the software.  What was interesting is that during the install it said that it had to overwrite some read only files that were left behind by the version 3.6.1 of the software.  Now this shouldn't happen for two reasons, first the files shouldn't have been set to read only and second they should have been removed when the uninstall of 3.6.1 was run.  I would speculate that because the files were set to read only that was why I couldn't do anything with the button profiles on the scanner.  

The HP scan tools 3.6.1 clearly has multiple bugs in it and should be removed from the downloads and either a fixed version put up or an older working version. 

HP Recommended

Good News!  I am glad you found a solution for the profiles.

• What is the link to the 2.7 version for the solution you are using?

Someone may wish to have a "click-it" answer to the solution - saves the guess work.  Smiling.

Thanks for posting - it helps when someone takes the time for follow through on these things and then post the results!

As to the changes in the 3.6.x version -- software does change, and for some uses, not always for the better -- at least not for everyone.  For every "benefit", there seems to be something left behind.  In this case, it seems to have been the ability that you needed the most.  I am glad the older version is still around.  Be sure you keep a copy of that installation file!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
I had to root around my mountains of CDs to find an install CD. Typically I never have need of them as I just get the new drivers from the net with great results +99% of the time for years now. So sorry no link is available to the older version of the drivers.
HP Recommended

OK.. I think I found the software on the Scanner's website.

Drivers at the top, patches... software at the botton section.

For Software and Drivers:

HP Scanjet 7000 Sheet-feed Scanner - Software and Driver Downloads / Win7-64bit

• Documentation

Profiles: Chapter 3 / Page 14

HP Scanjet 7000 Sheet-feed Scanner User Guide

Profiles: Page 7

HP Scanjet 7000/5000 Sheet-feed Scanner Getting Started

Hopefully, the scanner will continue to work as you expect now that you have the sofware sorted to satisfaction.

Happy Computing!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Yeah, the manual was unhelpful with regards to this particular problem.  It doesn't address the problem of the profiles not being editable or what to do when they aren't usable.  At least the old version of the scan tools restored that functionality. 

It is nice to see that the old version 2.7 is indeed there and available for download.  Old version

HP Recommended

Unfortunate that the manual did not cover this... I have found that sometimes this is the case:  the one thing you need is not there.

At least it is fixed.

'nuff said.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.