cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SuzanneBB Tutor
Tutor
9 6 0 1
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How do I find the last version driver for graphics card in my new computer? Tech updated, but...

Pavilion Envy 750-435
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

New computer, 2 weeks old. Initial headache as 2 HDMI ports did not work. (still dont)

Has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 graphics card.

Tech did remote uninstall of my driver and installed the latest version of driver (375.95) which they downloaded directly from the NVIDIA website. The driver listed on the HP site for my computer is for the wrong version of NVIDIA, so I can't use that one

Since the driver upgrade, I keep getting black flashes on the screen, generally after various video ads play, then I have to restart the computer to make it stop.  It's driving me nuts.

I want to install the driver version that was orignally on this computer 2 weeks ago before tech upgraded it, but I don't know how to find it.

Pavilion Envy 750-435st

Win 10 64 bit

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Provost Provost
Provost
46273 40534 4386 11286
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How do I find the last version driver for graphics card in my new computer? Tech updated, but...

You should be able to recover it from the Recycle bin. 

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
SuzanneBB Tutor
Tutor
9 6 0 1
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, it's not in the recycle bin. They uninstalled the old driver before installing the new one.   The only thing in the recycle bin is a shortcut.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
104874 95425 14713 22627
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Explore the C:\ drive. 

There should be a SWSetup folder that contains all of the original driver and software installation files that came with your PC.

I usually save that to a portable hard drive, and delete it from the C:\ drive, as it is not necessary to operate your PC.

I also cross referenced several models that came with the same graphics card as yours, and I was able to find one that did have the correct graphics driver for the GTX 960, as I used 7-Zip to break down the exe file so I could explore its contents.

This one...

10.18.13.5933 Rev.A  Mar 29, 2016

Windows 10 (64-bit)

This package provides the nVidia Graphics Driver for supported desktop models that are running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75001-75500/sp75417.exe

Here is a partial copy and paste of the driver setup information file which shows support for the model graphics card your PC has.  It covers 3 variations of hardware ID's.

[Strings]
DiskID1 = "NVIDIA Windows 10 (64 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1"

NVIDIA_DEV.1380.2B63.103C = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti"
NVIDIA_DEV.1382.6893.103C = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745"
NVIDIA_DEV.139B.2B4C.103C = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960A"
NVIDIA_DEV.13B1.2B65.103C = "NVIDIA Quadro M1000M "
NVIDIA_DEV.13C0.2B49.103C = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980"
NVIDIA_DEV.13C2.90F0.1B0A = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970"
NVIDIA_DEV.1401.2B4D.103C = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960"
NVIDIA_DEV.1401.2B57.103C = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 "
NVIDIA_DEV.17C8.2B62.103C = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti"

0 Kudos
SuzanneBB Tutor
Tutor
9 6 0 1
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you! Is it necessary to uninstall the previous driver first?

I'm a mac user, so this is all new to me.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
104874 95425 14713 22627
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, in this situation I would first uninstall the current driver before installing the one I posted (or if you found the original one in the swsetup folder).

That is because you are installing an older driver, and there my be some conflicts with the newer one if you just let it install over the new one.

Normally you can install a newer driver over an older one without concern.

To uninstall the driver, go to the device manager, click to expand the display adapters device manager category, right click on the nvidia gtx graphics adapter, select uninstall, check the uninstall driver box and restart the PC before installing the newer driver.

Also if there are any nvidia graphics programs in the add/remove programs section in the control panel, you may want to uninstall those too.

0 Kudos
SuzanneBB Tutor
Tutor
9 6 0 1
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help! I followed your directions and installed the other driver without any issues.

Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem.  I'll call support again on my next day off, but it's possible this unit needs to be replaced. I still have 2 weeks left to resolve the problem and still be able to return it. 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
104874 95425 14713 22627
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that driver didn't resolve the problem for you.

0 Kudos
SuzanneBB Tutor
Tutor
9 6 0 1
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your help was much appreciated. Based on your excellent directions above, I was able to locate the version installed on my computer (10.18.13.6213 dated July) from another HP model and download from that support page. Still didn't correct my problem, but now we know most or all avenues have been exhausted. If phone support manages to find the problem, I'll post again in case someone else experiences the same problem.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation