Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
FionaJK42 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

How do I switch it off the touch screen?

I don't want to use the touch screen. How do I switch it off? It gets activated by all sorts of things, such as my pet cat's tail  touching it, or an insect landing on it, or a curtain blowing against it. I don't type using the screen, i prefer the keyboard as I can't type fast on the screen. I'd like to disable the screen touch when i'm not using it (most of the time), or even permanently - it is not useful for what i want to do as the screen is not as sensitive or fast as the input devices i typically use.

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
20441 2245 7473
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Fiona, welcome to the forum.

When requesting help you should always include the make/model of the computer and/or monitor. This information is necessary for us to review the specifications of them.

In the meantime, here is a thread from the forum that may solve your problem.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen 880-160se; i7-8700K; 16 GB DDR4 2400; GTX 1070-8 GB; 512 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Top Student
7 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for your response, but unfortunately, I had already seen the answers on that other thread and they don't work for me. I have an HP Pavilion 23 running Windows 8. In Control Panel, under Pen and Touch there are options to slow down and speed up the reaction of the PC to touching the screen, but not to switch off the touch screen altogether.

This is why I asked the question - I had hunted for the solution but failed to find it as the posted solutions all seem to apply to earlier versions of Windows.

I've tried setting all the available control panel options so that the screen is less sensitive, but unfortunately it still reacts, albeit slower or less violently.

Is there a way to turn off this annoying touch screen feature? It is really hampering my work.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2789 152 317
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi FionaJK42,

I will do my best to help you get your touchscreen off. There are several models of the Pavilion 23. Could you please give me the exact Model Number of your Pavilion 23.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
FionaJK42 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi. Thanks for responding. the  Product number is: E6Q09EA#ABU, Product name: 23-f221ea. I am running Windows 8.1.

I hope this is enough information for you to be able to answer my question. if not please let me know.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2789 152 317
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi FionaJK42,

Here is how to turn off your touchscreen.

Go to

*Control Panel*

*Hardware and Sounds*

*Pen and Touch*

*Change Touch Input*

choose the *Touch* tab

then uncheck *Use your finger as an input device*

Click Apply and the OK

The touch screen should be disabled now.

Let me know if this worked for you.

Thank you,

FionaJK42 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Advance23. 

Unfortunately, this is the same answer as given on the forums already, and does not work with Windows 8.1. There is no option under Pen and Touch to select / unselect "Use your finger as an input device". All I am given is options to control how fast / slow the screen reaction is for double click and press & hold. I have already changed these to slow the reaction down, but I have been unable to turn it OFF altogether, which is what I want to do.

regards

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2789 152 317
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi FionaJK42,

Could you please send me a screen shot of your Pen and Touch screen?You should have different tabs across the top. In the 'Touch' tab near the top of the page should be 2 check boxes.

Let me know.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
FionaJK42 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

pen_and_touch.png

0 Kudos
FionaJK42 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

and the 2nd screen looks like this - the options you suggest don't appear anywhere

press and hold settings.png

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation