Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
37 1 1
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How do I upgrade my Pavilion to 4 monitors?

Update (Nov 14, 2011) I have created a new post for my last question in this thread entitled "Running 4 1920x1200 monitors on a Pavilion Elite I7 Desktop PC":

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Monitors-and-video/Dual-video-cards-NVidia-GTS-250-Do-both-card...

It has a happy ending.

Original post:

I have an I7 based Pavilion Elite tower that I purchased in August 2009 from a big box store in Ottawa, Canada. It has a GeForce 250 and and PEGATRON motherboard (see specs below).  I have it connected to two monitors. It has been working splendidly for over 2 years now (knock on wood).

I would like to add 2 more monitors. It seems to me that I need to install another GeForce 250 but I wanted to know what my best bet is and if there are any problems I am likely to encounter.

Can 2 GeForce 250s physically be installed on my machine? In other words, does my motherboard (see specs below) have the available and proper slots to house the second card? There appear to be 3 available slots on the back of the case.

Would there be airflow / heat issues associated with the second card?

If I can't find a GeForce 250 locally (or if 2 will not work with my machine) , can I install another (more modern) GeForce card along with the original card?

Thanks for any tips!

Motherboard  Specs

Base Board 

Manufacturer PEGATRON CORPORATION
 Product TRUCKEE
 BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
 Release Date 09/17/2010
 BIOS Version String 5.29 
 ROM Size 1.00 MB
 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
 Name Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
 Cores 4  Threads 8  Current Speed 2.66 GHz
 Technology 45 nm
 Features MMX, PSE36, EM64T, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, IDA, XD, VMX
 L1 Instruction Cache 4 x 32.00 kB
 L1 Data Cache 4 x 32.00 kB
 L2 Cache 4 x 256.00 kB
 L3 Cache 8.00 MB

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
49213 9751 16606
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you post back with the full Model No. of the PC.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
37 1 1
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's a "HP Pavilion Elite e9180f Desktop PC".

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
49213 9751 16606
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your Motherboard will support 2 PCI Express x 16 graphics cards - these are the Two longer horizontal black slots towards the bottom left of your Motherboard.  To ensure that these cards will run in SLI, they need to be the same Model ( ie GT250 ) and from the same Manufacturer.  There is a review of your PC mentioning this configuration Here.

Obviously, with Two cards, you are going to generate more heat ( therefore more fan noise ) and I would recommend upgrading your PSU to 700 Watts.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Intern
Intern
37 1 1
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks.

How do I go about upgrading the power supply. Is there a part number that I can use to order from the HP store and do instructions come with it?

Also, I can't find a GTS 250 for sale. I will check for used ones but do the cards have to be the same same model?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
49213 9751 16606
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you haven't done this sort of upgrade before, I would strongly recommend finding a local computer shop ( not a large chain store ) and get them to perform the upgrade - this will give you the chance to explain exactly what you want and will also give you a form of recourse should the upgrade not work as you wish.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Intern
Intern
37 1 1
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. I'll arrange for a technician to come and upgrade the power supply. In the mean time, I have ordered a GTS 250 from a local HP partner that will take a couple of weeks to get.

The tech who will install the PSU will be from a different company than the HP partner company. I don't want to have to drag my machine down to their shop in order to determine what the appropriate replacement PSU should be so I should probably

order the 700 watt power supply from the HP partner in addition to the GTS 250. Exactly what 700 watt power supply should I order?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
49213 9751 16606
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The PSU on the link below is a good option - I would always suggest noting the dimensions and physically checking that this will definetely fit in your PC, although I believe it should.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMPSU-750TX-750-Watt-Certified-compatible/dp/B000X2677A/ref=pd_cp_e_3/...

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Intern
Intern
37 1 1
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. I guess there's no HP part then.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
49213 9751 16606
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't work for HP, but I imagine they may well have a similar product - I just have no relevant experience with them.  The main reason I recommended the PSU linked to in my previous post is because it's from a well respected manufacturer and I personally know that it delivers the ratings that it specifies - it's also nice and quite.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation