Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Eke Student
Student
Message 1 of 6 (5,966 Views)

How do i turn off the Internal speakers on my HP ENVY 23-d027c TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC

Unable to find where or how I can turn off the internal speakers in my new HP Envy 23.

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Message 2 of 6 (5,945 Views)

Re: How do i turn off the Internal speakers on my HP ENVY 23-d027c TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The answer to your question depends on your reasons for wanting to turn off the speakers. 

Recently, I noticed that when I plugged my headphones into the headphone output on the Envy 23 I use at work, the music would still play through speakers, annoying my co-workers. I still wanted to be able to listen through headphones, so I plugged the headphones into the speaker output on the back of the computer. Now the music only plays through the headphones.

When the compter is viewed from behind, the output is probably near the lower-right corner. It looks just like your headphone output, but has a little icon that looks a little bit like this:
(((.)))

To listen to your headphones without the speakers playing, plug your headphones into that speaker output on the back of the computer.

If, on the other hand, you want to completely shut your speakers down, try this (be warned: this will shut your headphones down as well):

• Press the Windows + W keys, and type Sound into the search field.
  • Select Sound from the search results.
  • On the Playback tab of the Sound window, double-click Speakers / Headphones.
  • On the General tab of Speakers / Headphones Properties, select Don't use this device (disable) from the Device usage drop-down near the bottom of the window.
  • Click OK
~Lil.Liebe

Clicking the white KUDOS THUMBS UP ThumbsUp.jpg on the right is a way to say thanks!
Click Accept as Solution on a reply that solves your issue to help others in search of answers.

Student
Message 3 of 6 (5,521 Views)

Re: How do i turn off the Internal speakers on my HP ENVY 23-d027c TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC

So I spent hours and too many web sites to try and fix this. I literally went crazy. So i ended up getting a six pack and just took off two simple screws. Unhooked the dam wires connecting to speakers and called it a a day. Now if I want to listen out loud, I plug in computer speakers. Other than that, my headphones stay plugged in.  Should of did this from the start. Took 7 minutes and im totally happy and so is everyone around me.

Tutor
Message 4 of 6 (3,201 Views)

I cannot turn off the internal speakers in my ENVY 23 after switching from Windows 8 to Windows 10 so I can use the headphone jack to play from an external speaker without the sound coming from the internal speakers. 

In Windows 8 plugging the external speaker into the computer's headphone jack disabled the internal speakers.  None of the fixes described on the Internet solve this problem including this one.  My computer does not have the (((o))) icon  but has a small headphone icon.

I have all current sound drivers and have tried disabling various audio devices.  It appears that Windows 10 Speakers/Headphones device driver does not allow controlling each of these outputs independently.

Any suggestions?

Retired
Message 5 of 6 (3,162 Views)

Hi there @ZEUS_2016,

May the Forums be with you!  I understand that you are looking for help with disabling the speakers in Windows 10  I am happy to assist with this.

You can try looking through the Microsoft forums for help with this such as: How do I turn off the internal speaker in Windows 10? - answers.microsoft.com, or you could try posting a direct query there as well.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Tutor
Message 6 of 6 (3,146 Views)

The Microsoft forum on this topic provided a way to disable the internal speaker (and leave the headphone jack active) but it does not work.  This was confirmed by "dbldn11" in his/her reply.  I left a message noting the problem still exists and asked if anyone knew how to resolve the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation