cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Bikebrains
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

How do you clone a hard drive on a P6770T

HP Recommended

Background:   I have a P6770T desktop, product number XX204AV#ABA, OS: Windows 7 Home 64 bit service pack 1.  

Partitions:    C:   685 GB, 😧  12.7 GB (Recovery),  Q:  0 GB (MS Office 2010 protected).

Question:    I wish to add a second hard drive to the PC as a clone.   First, can a second internal hard drive be added ( is there a slot for the drive and a SATA cable port) ?    Second, how do you clone a hard drive with the three partitions as described above?    I need cook book style instructions because I am a newbee.      THANKS.   

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
12,842 12,635 1,774 5,014
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is usually better to perform a clone with an external drive. No sense having the drive under power (spinning). Both Seagate and WD offer similiar programs called "DiskWizard".

What you will need:

1) Cloning software (I'll link Seagate)  download the utility and download the User Guide from that page.

2) Purchase a 1T Seagate drive (as your HD is a nominal 750GB).

extras you will need:

3) Sata drive enclosure includes ESata rail.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is usually better to perform a clone with an external drive. No sense having the drive under power (spinning). Both Seagate and WD offer similiar programs called "DiskWizard".

What you will need:

1) Cloning software (I'll link Seagate)  download the utility and download the User Guide from that page.

2) Purchase a 1T Seagate drive (as your HD is a nominal 750GB).

extras you will need:

3) Sata drive enclosure includes ESata rail.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

Bikebrains
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"It is usually better to perform a clone with an external drive."

I bought a Seagate Backup Plus, an XHD.    I down loaded Seagate DiscWizard.    I saved the folders on the XHD in the event at that the intended use as a bootable drive did not work.   I reformated the XHD and then used DiscWizard to clone my internal hard drive.   I made the XHD the first drive in the boot sequence.    The XHD was skipped in the boot sequence and the PC booted from the internal HD.      I contacted Seagate which responded:    

"Thank you for contacting Seagate Support.
Unfortunately the Seagate Backup Plus drive is not meant to be used as a bootable disk.  We can only provide support in the environment it has been tested in which is connected to computer as a backup drive.  However we do a software program called Disk Wizard that will allow you to create an image of your computer.  Here is the link to the DiscWizard software. This is for disaster recovery, and is recommended only periodically, perhaps once every few weeks. It will create a complete image which you can save to your external drive to recovery your complete Windows installation from in the event of malware corruption to your OS or perhaps a failed internal drive:"

So  the Seagate XHD will not function as a bootable drive.     I will attempt to salvage the XHD by restoring the Seagate  files.       

Is there a way to make the XHD a bootable drive?    If not, the instructions to the user community should be modified to include this key fact. 

0 Kudos
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The instructions are correct for an implied cloning of an existing hard drive. These instructions were never meant for anything except a "bare" drive. Utilizing a hard drive that has backup software, or  installed applications exceeds the purpose of cloning. You should not attempt to re-write the rules.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation