cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mbaetsen Top Student
Top Student
3 2 1 0
Message 11 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

How to Flash BIOS if you cannot start Windows

tell me something how does one get a bios virus?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
51 40 1 2
Message 12 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Easy,

Write a regular virus that contains BIOS and chipset specific BIOS flashing code into that virus.

This is a proven concept.  Google it.

I can't see any reason that next gen hacking skips the placement of viruses on the MBR or anywhere on the harddrive for that matter since everyone's grandma knows how to low level format drives to remove MBR viruses now.

Hacking the BIOS is new stuff....nobody believes it can happen and virus scanners don't check the bios...only memory and the hard drives etc.

If I were a world class hacker, I would focus on targeting the BIOS.  The only caveat in the way might be manufacturers responding by making BIOS flashin require a physical jumper change or some other BIOS locking technique which actually is already in place in many systems.  Whether or not hackers find away around this is anyone's guess.  Remember when they cracked microsoft's License Key scheme?   And more recently, the Digital Encryption Protection scheme was cracked.....Noone believed that either could be done...until it happened.

No matter how high, wide or thick you build your wall, someone with enough determination will find a way past it.:robottongue:

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
51 40 1 2
Message 13 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Now, in answer to this thread I have discovered a solution ....

HPBIOSFILE.exe -writeromfile / -writehexfile / -writehdrfile

I hope this helps some of you.

To use this.....

1). Download the BIOS update executable (.exe) file for your MoBo

2). Get a copy of Award's DOS Bios flashing program (Google it, easy to find)

3). Obtain a downloadable copy of DOS 6.22 (from Microsoft) and create boot files from it.  (you may need another computer to do this).

4). Boot your affected computer into DOS 6.22

a). Copy the files into a directory

b). Using the bolded line above....type the name of your BIOS file in place of HPBIOSFILE.exe" and execute the command.

You will end up with a ROM file, a BIN file and a header file.

You can now re-flash your BIOS on your HP computer outside of a Windows Environment.

ENJOY!

Intern
Intern
51 40 1 2
Message 14 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have the extracted raw ROM image for anyone with a M2N68-LA (my system is an a6230n Pavillion

The image name is 513.ROM

I will make it available at http://www.whiskerlove.com/hp_bios/513.rom in a couple days.

It can be flashed using a DOS based Phoenix flasher.

Why HP wont supply it this way is ......a mystery.

You may also want to visit the gurus at.......

www.bios-mods.com

They were key in helping me with this problem.

Great bunch there....dont forget to donate if they help you as a courtesy.

user9120y Tutor
Tutor
13 12 1 0
Message 15 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The sp46427.exe BIOS update for M2N78-LA can only be run on Windows Vista or Windows 7.  I created a DOS boot USB key and copied the sp46427.exe on it.  I was able to boot the crashed PC using the USB key, and could see the c:> prompt.  However, it does complains that the sp46427.exe cannot be run in DOS mode.

How were you able to extract the appropriate BIOS file (ROM file?) from HP's exe?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
user9120y Tutor
Tutor
13 12 1 0
Message 16 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Here is a process to extract the ROM file...

Phase III) Extract the BIOS ROM file from BIOS update executable.
1) Download the HP supplied BIOS update executable.
2) Download 7zip software program from sourceforge.net.
3) Install 7zip
4) Run 7-zip File Manager, browse to the HP supplied BIOS exe and extract the contents (by pressing the blue minus icon).
5) Locate the VL(number)(number).(number)(number) file and copy it to the USB stick.
6) On the USB stick copy or rename the VLnn.nn file to HPBIOS.ROM.

0 Kudos
technolow Tutor
Tutor
14 14 0 0
Message 17 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

I downgraded my bios to previous version by mistake.

Now, my laptop turns on but I can not access BIOS, CMD or Windows 7.

I have tried many things from different forums (similar solution to what is here). Created bootable USB, got flash utility extracted (.BIN files only)

I did not see any .ROM file

But all aside....

I just can not access anything.

Laptop doesnt even detect the USB. I am not sure getting an external floppy drive will make any difference.

I hate to think I have bricked the motherboard.

There has to be a way to fix it at home without speding on replacements.

I would appreciate any help that I can get from here.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
shohidul Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 18 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have a BIOS virus that prevents ANY version of any Windows OS from booting at all. (Linux will boot and run fine) So, to resolve this, I need to re-flash the BIOS. Problem is...HP only offers the BIOS utility as a Windows executable. Can anyone help me figure out a way to flash the BIOS WITHOUT Windows ?
0 Kudos
technolow Tutor
Tutor
14 14 0 0
Message 19 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Read all the threads...I believe everything is covered here..

Also, removing CMOS battery will reset bios.

Some laptops have a way to kill the circuit charge by short circuiting the board thereby resetting it (+/- ==> -/+)

That will allow you to start from scratch.

You can then search for creating usb start up kit (configured for DOS startup) which will allow you to move forward with installing/configuring DOS command ==> configure BIOS temporary compatible version ==> reinstall windows ==> then update the latest version but keep in mind to know exactly what is suited for your mobo otherwise you will brick your board.

Hope this helped..

Take care.

0 Kudos
DaChA Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 20 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

sorry to highjack.

Since you can run in linux I guess that means it did it detect your hard drive in bios? I have the same problem and I think its a virus but for me the drive completely dissapeared and it did the same thing when I replaced the hard drive, thinking it was a hard drive failiure.

Edit: 

I tried taking out the battery and now i am getting a checksum error. F1 to reset bios to defaut and F10 to load normal bios. neither option does anything. Did I brick my machine?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation