Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (585 Views)

How to Reset a Power On password

Product Name: HP Envy 700-210xt

I bought a used HP Envy 700-210xt from a guy who was selling it cheap because he couldnt fix it. I got it and it has a power on password protecting it. I tried to reset the Bios by removing the CMOS battery for about 45 min,  also tried to do a reset by holding down the Windows key and the B button down as instructed but it would just stay stuck on black screen. When I powered off and powered back up it would back to the Black screen with the blue power on password box. I even tried to jump the CMOS PW as I read online but that did not fix the issue either.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 5 (569 Views)

Re: How to Reset a Power On password

Hi:

If there is a clear P/W jumper (and it looks like there may be one on the motherboard because I see a picture of a couple tiny blue jumpers), see if this works...

Shut down and unplug the PC.

Move the clear P/W jumper one pin over.  From the pictures it looks like it can only be moved one way.

Plug in and turn on the Pc.  The BIOS P/W should now be cleared.

Shut down and unplug the PC.

Move the clear P/W jumper back to its original position.

Plug in and power on the PC.

Done.

Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (562 Views)

Yes there was, the jumper was a solid light blue however. I moved it over one pin and did those steps and it did not work. I will try it again though and see if maybe I am just unlucky.

Honor Student
Message 4 of 5 (553 Views)

I just did the jumper and with the jumper slid over the computer wont power on at all. I moved the 2 jumpers back to the starting place and after booting I still get the blue power on password screen

Provost
Message 5 of 5 (538 Views)

Sorry that didn't work.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions for you to try.

There are no instructions on the motherboard information page, so I was hoping those general instructions would work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation