Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
killahkoala Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How to Reset a Power On password

HP Envy 700-210xt

I bought a used HP Envy 700-210xt from a guy who was selling it cheap because he couldnt fix it. I got it and it has a power on password protecting it. I tried to reset the Bios by removing the CMOS battery for about 45 min,  also tried to do a reset by holding down the Windows key and the B button down as instructed but it would just stay stuck on black screen. When I powered off and powered back up it would back to the Black screen with the blue power on password box. I even tried to jump the CMOS PW as I read online but that did not fix the issue either.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
101367 14044 21577
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

If there is a clear P/W jumper (and it looks like there may be one on the motherboard because I see a picture of a couple tiny blue jumpers), see if this works...

Shut down and unplug the PC.

Move the clear P/W jumper one pin over.  From the pictures it looks like it can only be moved one way.

Plug in and turn on the Pc.  The BIOS P/W should now be cleared.

Shut down and unplug the PC.

Move the clear P/W jumper back to its original position.

Plug in and power on the PC.

Done.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes there was, the jumper was a solid light blue however. I moved it over one pin and did those steps and it did not work. I will try it again though and see if maybe I am just unlucky.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just did the jumper and with the jumper slid over the computer wont power on at all. I moved the 2 jumpers back to the starting place and after booting I still get the blue power on password screen

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
101367 14044 21577
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't work.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions for you to try.

There are no instructions on the motherboard information page, so I was hoping those general instructions would work.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation