cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
MaryNuts Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How to disable shortcut alt + S in Windows having removed HP Support Information (HPSysInfo.exe)

I deleted (it was impossible to uninstall) the HPSysInfo.exe file before I read of the other way to disable this annoying shortcut that makes the unnecessary HP Support Info window pop-up making it impossible to write a Polish s with diacritics mark, which in the language appear quite often.

Now when I press alt + S, I get the following error message: HPSysInfo.JPG

What can I do to disable the shortcut so that I can use it once again for really useful things? I will be really greatful for your help.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Retired
6,182 5,326 350 628
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How to disable shortcut alt + S in Windows having removed HP Support Information (HPSysInfo.exe)

Hello @MaryNuts,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I read your post about HP Support Information issue, and wanted to assist you!  I understand that you are looking to disable the key combination, so that it can be used for other purposes.

To resolve this issue, try reviewing the following steps, and let me know how it goes:

1. Click Start , All Programs, "HP Help and Tools".

2. For Compaq computers, right-click either Compaq Support Information or Compaq Presario Support Information, and click Properties.

For Pavilion computers, right-click either HP Support Information or HP Pavilion Support Information, and click Properties.

Figure : Path to support information properties (in Windows Vista)

3. Click inside the Shortcut keys field, and either delete the contents of the Shortcut Keys (None) or change it to another key combination that you are not using in other software programs. For example, if you want to change the key combination to CTRL + ALT + Z, select the Shortcut key field and press all three keys at the same time.

Figure : Support Information Properties window

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
MaryNuts Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!

This does definetely not solve the problem because I cannot apply any changes in the Properties windows. I have mentioned before that I deleted the HPSysInfo.exe file and the error message I get is connected to it (see picture). What shall I do about it?HP_error_message.JPG

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
23,939 22,296 1,913 7,030
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MaryNuts

Apologies for jumping in!

Some Ideas

Most simply, look for the program in your Trash Bin / Recycle Bin.

Unless you permenantly deleted the file (or cleared your Trash), most "deleted" files remain in the "bin".  Right Click on the file > Recover (or similar wording) to "put back the file" into its original location.

Fancy_Lines_1.jpg

Let the system look for and fix the missing file:

How To Use SFC /Scannow to Repair Windows System Files

Fancy_Lines_1.jpg

Retrieve the file / program from your Driver page

It may be possible to restrieve the containing program, that is, the application that provides the executable.

Depending on your Operating System, the program might be associated / called Hot Key Support or perhaps Quick Launch.

Open the Support Home Driver page for your computer > select (if necessary) your Operating System and look for the program set.

Fancy_Lines_1.jpg

Retrieve the program from your Recovery Manager

General Reference:

Updates – When and How

Section

• Recovery Manager

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation