Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 11 (444 Views)

How to get the original Windows disks

Product Name: HPE-257c
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My computer crashed and the hard disk needs to be completely reformatted and OS to be reinstall. I bought it with preinstalled Windows 7  Home Prem OA and I do no have the original Windows disks. Is there a way to get or download the disks so I can install Windows again? I do have the license number. I have to admit HP support website is useless and not easy to navigate.

Any feed back is appreciated

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 11 (436 Views)

Re: How to get the original Windows disks

[ Edited ]

Your HPE-257c is a  model year desktop PC. that means that HP no longer stocks the disks.  

If you can find a  Windows 7  Home Prem disk or iso and you have the twenty-five character license activation key, you can use it to install the OS.

Years ago, we used to be able to get them from the Dell website. Your best bet would probably be a second-hand PC shop. or online in the for sale ads.

Try the Microsoft online download website. You will need the twenty-five character license activation key in order to download the ISO from the website.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

They are quite serious bout having a valid twenty-five character license key.

Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs up .

If your problem is solved or question answered, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

Top Student
Message 3 of 11 (429 Views)

I do have the number and I tried Microsoft website and refered me to manufacture since the SW is OEM. Is there any way I can get the disks fro HP website?

Thank you

Provost
Message 4 of 11 (417 Views)

Read my last post again a bit more carefully.

Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs up .

If your problem is solved or question answered, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

Provost
Message 5 of 11 (415 Views)

Hi:

You can still get a set of recovery disks from this non-HP vendor at the link below.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-22589-windows-7-64-bit-recovery-kit-b7c92av-for-hp-pavilion-elite-...

Top Student
Message 6 of 11 (409 Views)

This is Microsoft website response below. I am not sure if HP can provide me with the disks since I paid for it.

Other options, as you recommended, is to pay for new set of Windows.

Thank you

MicrosoftWindow7.JPG

Top Student
Message 7 of 11 (404 Views)

This is Microsoft website response below. I am not sure if HP can provide me with the disks since I paid for it.

Other options, as you recommended, is to pay for new set of Windows.

Thank you

MicrosoftWindow7.JPG

Provost
Message 8 of 11 (394 Views)

You misunderstand...

The link that Paul provided is to a site that provide Recovery Media.  These are NOT the original Windows disks; instead, these are sets of DVDs that can be used to Restore an HP machine to its original condition.

Since these do NOT come from Microsoft, they are a lot cheaper.  Instead of $100 (or more) for an MS DVD, you're typically looking at $40 (or less) for a set of recovery DVDs.

You won't be able to use an MS DVD because (1) MS won't allow you to download using an OEM product key, and (2) even if you were able to download the ISO file, the installation would never activate because the MS version requires a Retail product key.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Top Student
Message 9 of 11 (387 Views)

Should HP legally provide some backup if the hard disk get crashed and needs to be replaced with new one?

Thanks

Provost
Message 10 of 11 (376 Views)

Hi:

While I am not employed by, nor do I represent HP, I can only offer my opinion.

HP probably would have to provide PC support including the ability for customers to order recovery media for the length of the product warranty, which is normally one year.

After that...your guess is as good as mine.

Usually, HP offers recovery media for a period of 3 years after the model introduction-- sometimes a little longer.

I believe that companies like the Computer Surgeons purchase the excess recovery media from HP after HP has decided to no longer carry recovery media for a specific model series.

There are 3rd party websites where you can download W7 ISO files, such as this one.

They claim to be...'genuine Windows 7 ISO images directly from Microsoft.'

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation