cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Drakkar
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How to install a new, larger C: drive in Stream 200-009?

Stream 200-009
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Despite my best efforts, I am unable to clean the C: drive (28GB!!!) of my Stream 200-009 to have enough room to operate normally.  I am now at the limit and thinking of upgrading the hard disk.  How can I do this?  Can I copy the factory-installed recovery partition on the new hard drive?  And then, how do I make the new hard drive bootable in order to re-install the OS on a boot partition?  Will I be able to recover to a new, larger hard disk from the original recovery image, or is there a "safeguard" on the recovery image to prevent re-installing on anything but the factory-installed 32GB HD?   Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Level 10
1,580 1,570 133 306
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, I have only worked with the Stream laptops and tablets, not the Mini but I think if you create the recovery USB you would be able to install the new drive and boot from the recovery USB and it would restore everything to the new drive including the recovery partition. 

If this does not work, you could do a fresh install of Windows 10 to the new drive by creating an install USB using the media creation tool.

Level 15
9,487 9,432 1,670 4,693
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your computer doesn't use a traditional hard drive, instead it uses a solid state drive card as shown below;

Figure : Solid state drive
32 GB solid state drive
  • Size: 32 GB
  • Interface: M.2 socket 3

The best method for returning the factory installed OS to the new "hard drive" is typically by creating the HP Recovery Media before modifying the computer in any way, shape, or form. Please see "Creating a recovery image on a USB flash drive" at HP PCs - Creating a Recovery Image on Discs or Saving a Recovery Image to a USB Flash Drive (Windows....

Alternatively, one could purchase the HP Recovery Media from HP at USB - Windows 8.1 64bit Recovery Kit 15AM1PRA602.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
Drakkar
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'll try this next weekend and let you know if it works.  Thanks!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation