cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

How to install older programs on vista & how to return my 32-bit to 64-bit operating system

Hi,

Question 1.  My cousin's son said I could install my older programs.  For instance, I tried to install "Corel's Painter 6" onto vista.  He said to install it into a 32-bit something or other.  I didn't fully understand, so I tried, and failed, so I used Vista's help to install it.  I used the "Program Compatibility Wizard".  I tried over and over and over until the program wouldn't load at all.....it always did load, just wouldn't turn on......and now my control panel has reverted to 32-bit operating system.  But my system still acknoledges it to be 64-bit operating system.  I recognise the icons in control panel to be different, I can't remember how I know that it is in 32-bit, but I read it somewhere.   And now my Corel painter 6 won't download at all....not recogonizing my serial number.  Which it did before.

Can someone please help me to return my pc to be fully 64-bit operating system?

Question 2:  Can anyone tell me how I can add my older programs to my new pc w/vista?

I have a faboulous HP Touchsmart PC IQ505  product no:  KZ631AA with Vista Home Premium.  I don't know if you needed the product no or not........??? 

Please help me. 

Thankyou. 

Patty

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,809 5,039
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

How to install older programs on vista & how to return my 32-bit to 64-bit operating system

I am a bit confused by your explanation of your situation for question #1. Right mouse click on MY Computer, select properties and tell us what you see for your operating system.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

Yes, under computer, under system properties it says "64-bit operating system.

And I found the other place that said I had 32-bit........it is under my display settings in control panel.

Thanks for coming to my aid.

Patty

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 15
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Do you mean "True Color 32 bit" ? 

So confirm that you are using VISTA 64 bit?  And what are your PC specifications? model, memory, etc

Is the Task Bar at the bottom of your screen black?

HP Photosmart 6520
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Corel Painter 6 is not listed as VISTA compatible and 64 bit might be another issue.  Buy the new version.

HP Photosmart 6520
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

ok, in the control panel,

under personalization,

under display settings,  (the page is in black and white with a touch of blue) the colors says:  highest (32 bit) ........

and on same page it also says "Generic PnP Monitor on Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family"  (if that helps).

Under my computer

in the system properties

I am using Vista Home Premium

model:  IQ505

system type:  64-bit operating system

memory:  4GB

That above is what it is supposed to be......and still says that it is....but in control panel it says what I said at the top.

And Yes, my lower task bar is black.  Should be blue.

I hope that is what you wanted.

And for the other guy, thanks, but I can't afford another Paint program.  Bought the other when I had more cash.  The program was just fine before, didn't need a new one.  I believe it is ment for a 32-bit operating system tho.  But now, I believe I screwed up my pc, listening to my cousin's kid,   Do I have to restore my whole system????

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

By the way, when I right click on my computer and pick properties, it goes to the same page I have been telling you about...under system properties.

OK?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Perhaps to need to find an experienced PC person to assist you with your problem.  A different set of eyes may help.

Your other alternative, although severe, would be to do a system recovery using the HP Recovery Manager and bring your PC back to day one, factory fresh condition.  Backup your data before doing the restore.

HP Photosmart 6520
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi guys,

I ended up calling my cousin's son again.  He hooked up to my pc from his town to mine.  It was pretty cool.  I am so sorry, I was wrong.  My pc was not changed.  The 32-bit color is what this always has, just didn't know it.  The icons in control panel were just enlarged, made it look so different, I just knew something was wrong.  I feel so silly, but so glad nothing is wrong with my pc.

About question #2.......

I was  able to download my painter 6 program....I was printing out the letter O instead of the number 0.  I can't believe that made a difference, but it did.  So it downloaded.  Then I right clicked the icon and chose "run as administrator and lo and behold it opens.

Now from the books I have, I see that to open anything I have to go around about and save the picts in another program like photoshop to convert the file to "RGB" file and then it will open in my program.  Kind of a pain, but at least it works that way.  AND I don't have to buy another program.

So, thanks for your help, but I Am Out of Here!!!

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation