cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Cooks
4 3 0 1
Message 1 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How to remove Farmville and Pokki on HP PC - Windows 8.1

HP Pavilion 500-309
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Purchased a new HP Pavilion 500-309 from Staples.

HP deskop included Windows 8.1 - which was setup and automatically patched when I started the PC.

I have not installed any other software on the PC - I'm only using the default Windows provided by HP.

Everytime I logged onto the PC - I get reminders about Farmville updates.

Why does HP install Farmville and some program called Pokki on their default Windows installation?

I have not been able to uninstall Farmville and Pokki from the PC.

How do I remove it?  

Why would HP include crapware on a their PC that can't be removed?

Side-note: Please stop pre-installing half-baked software on your PC.  This maybe the last time I purchase an HP PC.  I would expect that PC just came with Windows 8.1.  It does not say anywhere on the box, documentation or online that other software will be installed.   Instead of a clean install of Windows 8.1, I now have a PC with junk software.

16 REPLIES 16
Retired
Retired
7,336 6,290 359 763
Message 2 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Cooks,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how you are looking to remove Pokki and Farmville from your desktop computer, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To remove the Pokki application from your computer, I recommend following the steps in this document on Uninstalling Pokki. This should help remove Farmville and the Pokki application from your system.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Cooks
4 3 0 1
Message 3 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Didn't work - I tried it the steps below - serveral times:

1. Switch to the Metro UI (windows key)
2. Start typing "Control Panel"
3. Scroll down and click More Settings
4. Click Uninstall a Program under the Programs section
5. Select Pokki from the list of currently installed programs, then click Uninstall
6. Do the same for "Host App Service" and "Start Menu" if they are listed.
7. When asked if you would like to uninstall, select Yes

The uninstaller gives an error that the Application (Pokki) was uninstalled.  

However I still get the Farmville message when I log-in.  

I have Windows 8.1 so maybe there is another way to uninstall it.

Please provide another way to remove it completely from the PC.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
7,336 6,290 359 763
Message 4 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi again Cooks,

It is good to hear back from you!

Since the steps listed above did not resolve your issue, I recommend contacting Pokki Support for further assistance with the removal of their software.

Best Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

0 Kudos
Cooks
4 3 0 1
Message 5 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's really disappointing.

I would expect HP to provide the solution to remove the software that they installed by default.

Guess I won't be buying another HP PC again.   Hopefully I can still return this PC.

There are a lot of other people who have bought a PC from HP expecting it to just contains Windows.  We don't have the time nor the energy to waste to remove trial/broken software.   I need to get work done.

Not everyone is a computer expert - the uninstall feature should just work.    

No wonder people are buying expensive Apple computers - they work out of the box without all the trial/broken software.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
7,336 6,290 359 763
Message 6 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
magpie68a
1 1 0 2
Message 7 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too am very disappointed with HP pre-installing crapware Pokki.

Not only does it constantly try to upsell software it actively HIJACKED MY BROWSER.

Worse still, it HIJACKED MY CHILDREN'S BROWSERs and they are on non-admin accounts monitored by Family Safety.

It seems that at least once a month, Pokki does an "update" which is really an upsell in disguise. It pre-ticks a box to get fake consent for an install of additional software or OS config changes.

The worst one so far was the "HOMEPAGE-WEB" browser hijacker.

I had locked my daughter's accounts to Google Safe Search to protect them, and yet Pokki saw fit to override this and change their browser search engines to an unsafe commercial service with no content filtering.

PokkiCapture.PNG

Also, it is not installed in a conventional manner, it is installed separately into the Default User profile, so that a conventional Uninstall does not work. This is awful malware-like activity and you should be ashamed of pre-installing it on your machines.

Please provide an uninstall tool, as the true removal technique for this software is NOT covered in the link you provided from the vendor. 

Also, you must take MORE RESPONSIBILITY for the crapware you pre-install, do NOT pass the buck, you installed this software.

Retired
Retired
7,336 6,290 359 763
Message 8 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
allinduetyme
1 1 0 1
Message 9 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i'm having the same issue as above-(new laptop will not uninstall Farmville2).   I tried what you said about uninstalling "Pokki" but pokki is not on the list to uninstall...  😞   any other options?

Tomnz
2 2 0 2
Message 10 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This poster is entirely correct.  HP needs to take this seriously, if the Pokki software is indeed installed by default then it shouldn't be as it downloads malware.

I'd recommend that people do not purchase an HP computer unless they resolve this issue.

HP, what is your response?  (Other than I have raised this issue with the appropriate person)

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation