cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
stettma Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How to restore files after System Recovery?

Had to run a system recovery this afternoon, not too happy about it. When given the option to backup all the files beforehand I was overjoyed, and plugged in a brand new usb hard drive for it to dump all my info on. After an hour or so (took FOREVER to copy everything) I disconnected the drive before letting it run the system recovery. Now that I have the pc running again, how do I go about recovering all my info? When I plug the 320 gb drive in it shows up as an empty 290 gb drive (J:)... there is a Recovery (D:) partition of 8 gigs but neither can be used with the backup recovery program.

What exactly was I able to save from the drive before the recovery?

How do I get it back?

thank you

Mike

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Dean
Dean
10963 10958 724 1384
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Make sure that you can see all the files on the USB drive. (see folder options)

There should be 8 gb of your data on the USB.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer.
tonychilson Tutor
Tutor
14 14 0 2
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Which backup program did you use (HP Backup and Recovery Manager, HP Easy Backup, Microsoft Backup Utility, or a backup utility that came with the USB drive)?  I have included links to support documents for each of these applications.

Also, what model of computer do you own, and operating system are you using?

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
0 Kudos
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
317 317 19 117
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Steps to recover data using the Recovery utility tool v1.0.0.3

Download the Tool from the URL given below.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/getattachment.do?attachmentId=310530&ext=.zip

Or

http://rapidshare.com/files/181013358/ertool_1.0.0.3.rar

Please download and open the Zip File, select all Files, click Extract, choose a Location (Desktop), and click  Extract. Open the ‘ertool 1.0.0.3’ Folder on Desktop.

1.      Double Click "Emergency Tool.exe"
2. Click Load button

3. Browse and locate & select the *.fbw file

4. Click OK (the archive index is corrupt)

5. Click Analyse button
6. Click OK (notice the operation can take several hours.)

7. Remain time says "2 minutes" ,might take some more moments
8. Click OK (End of the analysis)
9. Click Emergency Extract (View screen)
10. Browse to location where files should be extracted.
11. Click OK
12. Click Ignore All (Error while extracting)
13. Click Open Folder
14. Click Close ... Click Close ... Click red X to close

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
0 Kudos
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
317 317 19 117
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If it does not work, you may try the steps given on the Webpage...

http://www.initechsolutions.org/articles/hp_backup_and_restore_fixer

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
0 Kudos
fmiller Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Because I created my back up files using the HP Recovery Manager software and discs, I would expect that there are directions on how to restore these files after recovery is completed. I've searched and found very little information on the topic and dislike having to resort to unknown software publishers to solve this issue. How can I be sure that the software being installed isn't created as a trojan, virus or other malware???

The first zip file lists the publisher as microsoft but fails to open with windows (suspicious) and the other just doesn't scream credible based on the page design (looks like cartoons of seedy characters).

I'd sure like someone from HP to address this concern!

0 Kudos
kevin_james Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If above solutions are not working then you can try windows data recovery software to recover files.

0 Kudos
fezini12 Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just had this same problem.  All because i could not recover my stupid windows 7 password.  So I was quite happy that this helpful wizard would save all my work files before I reset to factory startup.

Only there are no instructions anywhere on how to restore the files from the backup I created.  Not in HP help, not in Microsoft, no where.  After several hours of cursing and yelling, I tried this:

my computer

open the drive (in this case e:) where the DVD is

double click to look at the file names

double click on a file called Recovery Manger (application)

this starts the wizard to restore files to the C drive

Very very aggravating that there are no instructions whatsoever to solve this.  I only found it through frustration and dumb luck.

peterni23 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem did system restore and lost some important files and none of above solution helps.

edit:

No worries, I have found the solution. It's a step by step data recovery tutorial:

How to recover files after system restore

It's quite easy to follow. However, you need to do recovery asap.

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5568 5438 387 898
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@peterni23,

I understand you did a system restore and lost your files.  I am sorry this had occurred.

I take it you are referring to the system recovery instead of the system restore.  If this is incorrect let me know.  The original poster had backed up their files on a USB drive.  Did you do a backup during the recovery process or before the recovery?  If so, are you able to see the container files on the USB drive?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation