Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (5,727 Views)

How to restore to factory settings - HP Pavilion a1010n

I am supposed to be able to restore this PC to the factory settings that are stored somewhere on the hard drive.  It did not come with setup disks.  I tried to make a set of recovery disks but after 15 hours, I stopped it.  All I want to do is return this to the factory settings, wiping out everything that has been added or updated since this PC was purchased.

I tried using the wizard to do this.  It gave me warnings, stating that it was a destructive system recovery, etc.  I said okay and it went through the process.  When it was done, I went through the setting up of Windows, just like you would with a new PC.  But when it came up into Windows, I saw that it only did it part of the way.  It didn't remove any of the applications like it said it would and the data was untouched.

I went through the wizard again and saw that there were no selections for anything more 'destructive' than the reset/restore that I had performed.  How do I do a full system wipeout and restore to the factory settings using the stored settings that are on the hard drive?  This is a Pavilion a1010n with Windows XP.  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Dean
Message 2 of 3 (5,713 Views)

Re: How to restore to factory settings - HP Pavilion a1010n

[ Edited ]
Honor Student
Message 3 of 3 (5,691 Views)

Re: How to restore to factory settings - HP Pavilion a1010n

Thanks, and the first link you gave me were the instructions I followed (I didn't find any different information on the rest of the links).  I guess I will try it again, but the problem was that I chose Advanced, and Destructive Recovery, and it went through the whole Windows installation, so I thought it worked.  But when it brought the computer up into Windows, all the applications and data were still there.  I will try it again and come back if it happens again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation