Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Lanric Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp Envy 34 inch Curved all in one grinding noise

Envy 34 curved all in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased an Envy 34 inch Curved all in one directly from HP.  Immediately upon starting bootup, I heard the hard-drive making noises like it was constantly reading/writing.  I called tech support and they said that didn't sound right and I should exchange the computer.   I called HP direct sales and they sent me another brand new model.  The exact same thing is happening on this one.  Is it a bad batch of hard drives that HP has in this batch of new computers HP direct is shipping, or is this something going on that  needs to be turned off (indexing, etc)?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Teacher Teacher
Teacher
83 5 15
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi there,

Before troubleshooting, please ensure you have properly backed up all of your files (including email, internet favourites, music, photos, movies, game save points and files containing your work).

You should also create a UCRU (user created recovery usb stick, new, 32GB stick normally required) so that you can recover your PC any time in the futurre without hassle.

If you are operating this unit in a very quiet environment, then the noise may be attributed to normal HDD or fan operations.  However, i would suggest ensuring that you have done all updates, especially BIOS and Win10 updates to ensure that the noise is not simply extra activity due to your machine being new and needing a lot of updates done (this is normal for a new PC).

That been said, the noise from HDD's should be within a reasonable tollerance, and if in doubt after doing said updates, i would consider calling HP call center again and asking if the unit could be inspected, with the view of replacing the HDD should that be the engineer's recommendation after inspection.

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own.

#HPExpertDay

regards davida
"Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP"
0 Kudos
Lanric Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. I saw the same model in a Microsoft Store and it was silent. They told me that they reimage the machine and eliminate any bloatware installed by HP. HP tech support is sending me a USB so I can reimage the machine and see if that fixes the issue.
0 Kudos
sscheider2016 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My brother bought this computer in Dec of 2015, died in June.  I had to pay for it after his death and I am attempting to use it.  Warranty ran out 2 weeks ago.  It is very noisy.  I took it to Best Buy under their warranty and the did not fix the constant noise., or attempt to, or acknowledge it made noise.  It drives me crazy and this computer cost me alot of money.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation