Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

did you try with NO battery installed, that be first.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

many will work. most, will, even the slow ones, the dirt cheap ones imported from 12,000 miles SE. work

I have a box full fo them and tried them , bam worked.

but the ones that are marked for windows 8 don't , the very fastest , sandisk does not. the most expensive fails.........

the reason is simple,  HP did not qualify the ,  backup, using both technology flash sticks sold NOW.

they did not.

thus the bugaboo.

HP Recommended

wrong reply, some how , hp took me to my last post on forum

and not the own IM ON.

wow.

HP Recommended

Support informed me HP change to Win 8.1 denies use of System Image Backup to flashdrive. haha. Pay HP for their cloud?

HP Recommended

Hp over wrote win 8.1 option. System Image Backup will not work to flashdrive per their change, per support. I'm looking for a cmd line option to get around their change. When we bought a Win 8.1 pc, we didn't know we were buying a version that HP had modified so backup didnt work!

HP Recommended

Did you see my response? Per support, HP has changed Win 8.1 so it will not allow flash drive backup. Golly gee, I bet we could pay HP to use their cloud instead. Integrity rating - 0. I was given the option to pay support so they could tell me too. I'm looking at Sandisk software or a cmd line. Anything but HP provided software!

HP Recommended

it's not true.!  (broad bush that)

it is true only on new special flash sticks!

the $4 sticks from china work.all old sticks work all cheap simple ones work all do (right size)

the $40 top of the line stick does not " sanddisk usb3.0  extreme does not. 32gb 100MB/s , 8.0 on back will not work.

i posted all this already. read it?, tested it fully with many sticks.

if the stick says win8 ready, it wont work. that is  because of UEFI rules (new format) Google that, read the new rules.

the reason its not working is because the software (and Laptop) are older that the new designed sticks

the sticks came later.  see?

if HP could no buy one then,. how in the world can you make it work,   then., could not.

but they could patch this, and have not, ( they moved on,.... as it were)

IMO, YMMV, etc.

HP Recommended

Many newer flash drives are assigned a drive letter and marked as internal storage_Can Not be used for recovery image. You need a flash drive that is recognized by your machine as "removeable storage".

PNY Turbo 3.0 worked for me:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1016084-REG/pny_technologies_p_fd32gtbop_ge_32gb_turbo_usb_3_0...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

the USB is recognized as an internal hard disk and not as removable storage.:smileymad:

so true (but see the symptoms below, this problem on this forum is not about, that) 

there are now many sticks made, some even with Sony format, etc.

symptoms:

in this, case the new flash stick works on all computers in the home and work. (I can copy files and delete them)

win 7, or win8, and use  actual windows 8.1 , backup and it works on this new stick.

Including the HP laptop.

but not this HP backup utility, it fails to see the stick, even though , the  OS sees it and can use it.

that makes the utility ( weak , faulty or,  older versions,what ever the excuse is...)

Other LP companies (I checked this out) did up date their backup utility to solve this Dxxx did. (for same reasons)

buy the cheapest stick with correct size,  and it runs every time.

reformatting it wiil  not cure the problem. (it's  a deeper issue,  says SanDisk)

exFAT. or NTFS are best for 4GB and larger. exFat works best, and for sure on MAC.

I contacted Sandisk for help, maybe it can be reformatted some way, to get a backup, I will post back  later.

Read the symptoms carefully,  above,  this problem is UNIQUE. (and just backup utilities, and boot media apps)

note it says clearly FLash Drive.  See Sandisks fix , below.

below is 100% working but not with HP backup.  my mistake is buying the best fastest drive,  oop's

stick.jpg

now Ill qoute Sandisk guru:   (solution for just one stick in the whole world?) wow. replace it.

SanDisk Guru

Re: Extreme 32GB not recognized as removable storage[ Edited ]

"Do I have a faulty unit,"?

No, it was designed that way to support a Microsoft Windows 8 requirement.  However, SanDisk has stopped making them that way.  See URL   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx we cant post sandisk links to solve a problem.  amazing, huh?

"is there a firmware update to fix this,"

No.

"will I have to RMA my stick?"

Yes, or return it to seller.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.