cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
librehombre Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp support assistant corrupted

Windows 7, 64bit 2G main memory
My Support Assistant stopped working over a year ago. I tried fixing it, but it took too much time and I gave up. Lately I tried again. Here is what I have done so far.
Used recovery to reinstall program, but the process never completed properly. Rebooted.
Program shows up in my list of programs in the Uninstall program.
Got same result (every function I choose displays a Notebook page of code)
Itried removing the HP support information in Control Panel, uninstall but nothing happens.
I uninstalled the program, but the process hangs and never completes.
It looks like the support information is corrupted, but I cannot get rid of what is installed and trying to install or update the program doesn't work.
I have Iolo System Mechanic installed and that program has something called System Guard. At one point my attempt to install a copy of Support Assistant from the Recovery disk, I got an advice from System Guard, and overrode the attempt to stop the installation.
Can I get HP Support for this problem without paying a fee?

Bemused and baffled
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Professor Professor
Professor
2,162 2,092 101 363
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi librehombre,

Try upgrading to the latest version of HPSA:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-93433-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
librehombre Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did not correct my problem. The application did not complete cleanly. One notice I received said it finished ok, meanwhile another window with the progress bar just kept displaying and there is no way to get rid of it other than rebooting. I still have the identical symptoms: the assistant launches, but selecting any function displays a Notebook window with what I take to be programming code.
Bemused and baffled
0 Kudos
Professor Professor
Professor
2,162 2,092 101 363
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hmmmm....I'm a little baffled too. I'll have to do some research to see if I can come up with other ways to uninstall and re-install the application.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
Professor Professor
Professor
2,162 2,092 101 363
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok. So I asked around a bit, and here is what could be going on. System Mechanic or your antivirus system may be conflicting with the application and seeing it as a threat even though it is not. HP does work with protection software vendors to ensure our applications are not seen as threats. However, it could be your version of System Mechanic or other anti-virus software (like Norton 360) may not have received the update that allows HPSA to work properly.

Here are a few things you can try:

Try to stop, end, or uninstall system mechanic, and then reinstall HPSA.

Also, there are some HPSA actions setup in the task scheduler (in Windows).  You could remove all of the HP Support Assistant tasks before reinstalling the latest version of HPSA.

Alternatively, you could try uninstalling HPSA from safe mode, and then reinstall the latest version. This may be the easiest thing to try.

I was also told there was a similar issue that occured with another customer's PC that was using Norton 360:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-systems-and/HP-Support-Assistant-6-0-Released/m-p/865...

From that thread, Norton 360 may be disabling your scripting in Windows. Try the following:

1. Install the HPSA from control panel--> programs and features

2. Type "cmd" in the Start Search, then right click on command prompt and open as an administrator

3. Enter the following commands"

regsvr32 vbscript.dll hit enter

regsvr32 jscript.dll hit enter

4. Restart the computer.

5. Download the latest version of HP support assistant from the link below

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-87329-1&cc=us&dlc=en&docnam...

If none of this works, and you still get the error message and programming code screens, can you post a screenshot of the error?

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

0 Kudos
SDuhig Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP w2207 acquired it's infamous menu popup annoyance.

Good news was partly resolved using HP Display 1.4 by muting the audio on the screen as advised elsewhere.

hP Display fails to respond in all areas. Diagnostics not helping.

Menu works on screen now but unfortunately the screen now refuses to remember all commands LOL!

Tried to update HPDisplay to 2.x but insisted I uninstall 1.4.

Unable to uninstall. Gives an (Vista64) SP2 conflict.

Now Windoes update failing completely.

Tried to uninstall Windows Service Pack

but refuses to uninstall....

Tried to use Ms Fix-It. Says it fixes registry for patch conflicts but still no joy.

Ran sfc/scannow reports corrupt windows files that cannot be fixed.

Recovery Disk did not help.

No corruptions on hard disk.

No virus. No Chkdsk.

I am running latest Iolo System Mechanic and HP Printers with Epson scanner on an Acer PC on KVM..

Vista 64 is of course on the system with only the Recovery Disk to backup.

Any ideas Mister Do ? 😉

Many Thanks.

Steven.

0 Kudos
Professor Professor
Professor
2,162 2,092 101 363
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi SDuhig,

I'm a little confused by your post. Are you having a problem with the HP w2207 monitor, or are you having a problem with Windows updates on your Acer PC?

If you are having problems with updates, here are some links that may help (found them from Google):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997     ----make sure you go through all the steps in this if you haven't already.

This one references an Acer PC so it may also apply: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/thread/05584e87-c750-4...

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
SDuhig Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your reply.

My understanding is that there are/were several unhappy HP w2207 customers out there with the same problem.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Audio-Video-Monitors/W2207-volume-problem/td-p/111903

See

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPh9lSPAGIk

The root cause is HP Screen related. I experienced the classic symptoms for this model which was constantly popping up of the menu screen, especially the volume controls, and constant refreshing of the screen and it's settings.

This is well documented elsewhere but HP do not appear to have a solution for what is clearly a manufacturing defect...... or is it?

Managed to control this and the popups ceased by fiddling around and checking the audio mute facility in HPDisplay 1.4. (The only other advertised solution is to unplug the VDU buttions internally).  

The screen menu now works but the screen still constantly resets itself to a 5mm wider display area (at recommended resolution) than the screen. This now seems to be clock related. I can bring it in again changing the clock setting on the screen menu but it is no longer saved by the monitor BiOS.

Then discovered that HPDisplay no longer worked. I could not make alterations to the screen through it any more. This suggested to me that there was a software role so I attempted to upgrade HP Display to 2.x but the upgrade needed 1.4 uninstalled and it would not do so.

This is where Windows Vista 64 Service Pack 2 comes in. The error message mentions a conflict with SP2 and/or IE9.0. I then discovered that I could not uninstall SP2/IE9 either and the Windows installer had become totally corrupted. so I can no longer apply Windows updates.

'Tried Microsoft FixIt which says it fised files but did not seem to resolve anything.

IMHO This is not at all Acer or PC related beyond the video card perhaps but I am now convinced that the many folks who had the original problem out there are really experiencing a software/Screen BiOS/Java clash somewhere between Windows updates/HPDisplay/perhaps Nvidia Screen manager and the screen firmware itself?

Managed to uninstall iolo but this was not the problem. Reloading Iolo fails too as it's GUI Java will not now function. 'Checked for crosslinking on the hard disk and this was not the problem either.

SFC/Scannow indicated damaged system files that cannot be repaired. No Virus or malware.

Right now the whole Vista install is corrupted and Windows Explorer is crashing all over the place so I have to wipe the whole system now and install Windows 7 from fresh.

Also restoring my data (180,000 files) onto my new HP PC....

Many Thanks

Steven.

0 Kudos
Professor Professor
Professor
2,162 2,092 101 363
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm thinking all those changes and trying to uninstall SP2 and updates are what caused your OS to have problems. Have you tried running System Restore to see if you can roll your PC back to before you made all those changes?

I did just check your monitor software/driver page, and there are a 4 files there that could have possibly helped fix the original error. Did you try these files (I don't see a version 2 of MyDisplay, just 1.36):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2100&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3363...

If you install Win 7 64bit, here is the software/driver for the monitor:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3363...

Technically, you don't even need MyDisplay for the monitor to function. It is software that enhances the features of the software and allows you to make changes to the display without using the onscreen display menu.

0 Kudos
SDuhig Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well I now definitely believe that the popup problem is not monitor hardware but software-screen firmware clashing as I have now installed Windows 7 and, so far, all is well. I did not install HP Display though and am using the Nvidia products.

System Restore had lost its history.

Understand the role of HPDisplay. It was only used to remove the popup issue and then got corrupted.

Thank you so much for trying to help.

Steven.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation